Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what do I do with an existing icloud drive if the owner joins my family cloud

I want to use family sharing. My wife has her own icloud drive. If I add her to my family cloud what do I do with her cloud drive? It would be redundant would it not. My goal is to gain access to the photos on her phone from my laptop without syncing her data with my itunes.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 10:43 AM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Ken F 55

Hi Ken,

No, Family Sharing and iCloud Drive are two completely different things. First of all everyone should have their own iCloud account for things like Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Notes, Drive, Photos, Documents etc., which is fortunately the case.

With iCloud Family Sharing you would add another "layer" for you and your wife, where you could buy content like Music, Movies, TV Shows, Apps via iTunes and the App Store together, which means that you only would have to pay once. But that's not all iCloud Family Sharing offers also the option to share photos, calendars, location more easily (please see here): https://www.apple.com/icloud/family-sharing/

BTW: Shared photo streams as well as the other features can also be used without family sharing, you just would have to set up a shared photo stream, a calendar etc.

With kind regards,

David

what do I do with an existing icloud drive if the owner joins my family cloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.