Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Disk Utitity Wont Erase?

when i did this, the erase key is not enabled, its greyed out and wont allow me to erase anything? but it still has 249gb worth of information on it after having tried to erase it twice

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 10:53 AM

7 replies

Mar 5, 2015 2:10 PM in response to my ginger

I was running OSX Mavericks

I dont know what you mean by two drives? All I did was erase the Macintosh HD drive and now when I click to Reinstall a new copy of OSX Mavericks, it says it is unavailable under my sister's apple ID. Im trying to give the laptop to her since i got a new imac but it wont allow me to. If i try and boot it with my apple ID it works, but not with hers.

ive already gone under manage products and removed the laptop from my apple ID and added it to hers but it keeps saying that this item is temporarily unavailable. Its been saying that for seven hours now,

Mar 5, 2015 2:37 PM in response to FilmSprockett

I think you should have not removed the computer from your apple id until you got the download and installed it. I don't remember if maverick was a free download when you did it, but it's tied into your apple id. Now by itself maverick is no longer available . And to upgrade to anything, you have to start with snow leopard. That is $19.99 plus tax from apple. Do you have install disks for that computer?

Mar 5, 2015 3:36 PM in response to FilmSprockett

Can you try the disk utilities from the install disk and go through the erase and install again to see if that will work. Is it the install disk that came with your computer? As it would also have the AHT on it also. Or is it the retail snow leopard disk 10.6.3 that have a snow leopard on the disk? To erase the entire drive. Open disk utilities and select the main drive not the indented boot volume /Select erase/ erase/ select partition/select one partition/ select option/ select GUID/ click to erase. Make sure you have mac os extended journaled selected. close utilities and go back to install and began install.

Mar 6, 2015 8:55 AM in response to FilmSprockett

Weather you boot from the install disk or by command r. Go to disk utilities and see if you can run permissions repair and disk repair on the boot volume. Then while still clicking on the boot volume go to file, get info. See if it tells you that it is writable. It will give you info as to formate, writable, can permissions be repaired and other info. If after this the erase option is still grayed out you will have to use terminal. In get info, pay attention to disk identifier and write it down exactly as it shows. you will need it for terminal.https://support.apple.com/en-us/TS2176

Disk Utitity Wont Erase?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.