Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reactivating iPhone with Verizon in U.S. after use with foreign SIM card

I am traveling to Chile long term and currently have a SIM card from a Chilean carrier in my iPhone 4s (running latest iOS). I have a U.S. number with Verizon that is currently frozen while I am away. When I return to the States, how do I go about reactivating my iPhone with Verizon? My main concern is that I need cell service immediately upon landing back in the U.S. Do I simply remove my Chilean SIM card, put the Verizon SIM that I took out back, and then tell Verizon to reactivate my line?

If that is the case, in theory I should be able to terminate my Chilean service and remove the SIM a day or so before leaving, replace the U.S. Verizon SIM, and reactivate my line. Then I would just have to keep my phone on airplane mode until landing in the U.S. and when I turn it off I should be able to use my phone with my Verizon number.

iPhone 4S, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 11:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 11:41 AM

Yes, when coming back to the states you would simply call Verizon up and have them reactivate your line on your iPhone via its MEID number. Remove the Chilean sim and replace whatever sim you took out originally in case its required. It should not be though as Verizon is a CDMA carrier and only uses sim cards for their LTE service on newer iPhones.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 11:41 AM in response to jtav1

Yes, when coming back to the states you would simply call Verizon up and have them reactivate your line on your iPhone via its MEID number. Remove the Chilean sim and replace whatever sim you took out originally in case its required. It should not be though as Verizon is a CDMA carrier and only uses sim cards for their LTE service on newer iPhones.

Mar 5, 2015 11:48 AM in response to Phil0124

Thanks for the info and the quick response.

Does this have to be done when I am in the US or can it be done before hand so I am ready to go as soon as I land? I know when I deactivated the line I was able to call Verizon several days before and simply tell them that I wanted the phone deactivated and so and so date and time. Can the be done for the reactivation?

Reactivating iPhone with Verizon in U.S. after use with foreign SIM card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.