Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up Time Machine to run on a Wifi connected usb drive

Macbook Pro 15" Mid-2012

OSX 10.10.2

How can I (i.e., what are the steps necessary to) set up a USB harddrive to connect wirelessly and run Time Machine?

I have a USB hard-drive connected to a Wireless Router, but I don't know how to make the Mac recognize the USB drive.

I also don't know how to set up sharing -- what selections I need to make.

(I wish Apple would issue a manual. A whole lot of features are inaccessible without advanced knowledge.)

Could someone please give me a rundown of how to do this?

Thanks.

Laura

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 10:36 AM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 11:08 AM in response to CS_User

Unfortunately, Time Machine is supported when a USB drive is......

1) Connected directly to your Mac, or

2) Connected to the USB port on an current model AirPort Extreme router, or

3) Connected to the USB port on a Time Capsule

File Sharing is set up and enabled by default when you are using an AirPort Extreme or Time Capsule.

I doubt that your Mac will be able to "see" the drive connected to your router, but if it can, you will see the name of the router displayed under the Shared heading on the left side of any Finder window. In the example below, my AirPort Extreme, which is named AEBS appears under the Shared heading. Does the name of your router appear when you run this check?

User uploaded file

If not, you you will need to connect the USB drive directly to your Mac if you want to run Time Machine backups to the drive.

Mar 5, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Just to add to Bob's comment.. the vast majority of routers will not support Time Machine even if they support a USB drive.

what is the make and model of your router that the hard drive is on?

The Mac may be able to use the USB drive for file storage but it cannot use it for Time Machine. TM has very specific requirements.. the chief one being it must be formatted HFS+ (ie Mac OS extended Journaled) This format is not support in the router world for USB drives.. and whatever workarounds are used even when TM is supported are not 100%.

Having said that.. TM is not the only backup program.. you can buy a software like Carbon Copy Cloner that is much less finicky than TM.

Backup over wireless to a USB hard drive might give you a new definition of slow.. !!

How do I set up Time Machine to run on a Wifi connected usb drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.