Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I manage user's dock, applications, & print services?

I am setting up a new Mac Mini Server and have set up user accounts. What I would like to do is:

• Manage the user's dock so that only certain applications are in it.
  • Dictate which applications can be opened so the student's can't play games.
  • Lock a printer down so the student has to use a password to print to it.

I have an X Server presently which I'm phasing out because of it's age, I was using Mountain Lion with Server Admin and Workgroup Manager. I was able to do all of the above items with these two programs and it seems like the new Server app is missing quite a few things...

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 10:49 AM

1 reply

Mar 5, 2015 12:11 PM in response to Kimberly Seiz

You can indeed, though they're not managed through MCX preferences any more but by Profiles distributed through the Profile Manager. One of it's advantages over MCX preferences is that you can manage iOS devices as well as OS X devices, though that may not be of prime importance to you.

A good place to start is here, and a good quick walkthrough to read here which should show you a few of its capabilities and what you're facing setting it up.

I started planning a migration from Lion Server to Yosemite server today and it's one of the first things I've been going over as it seems to be, on the face of it, one of the things which has changed the most.

Good luck!

~W

Can I manage user's dock, applications, & print services?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.