Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can the apple stores replace a battery while you wait?

The battery on my MBA - late 2011, has lost it's ability to hold a good charge and I'm looking to replace the battery. If I go to an Apple Store, can they replace the battery while I wait or would it be shipped out for replacement the same as if I took it to a local authorized repair center?

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 11:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 12:13 PM

So I was finally able to get through to the store, but they didn't provide any meaningful help - they can't tell me if they can replace the part without a consultation first.

It strikes me as odd, since I can give them the problem I'm having (need a new battery), the serial number (though AppleCare confirmed they have the parts at the store), so I would expect that they could tell me if I drop it off by X they can have the battery replaced the same day.

Honestly this is the first disappointing experience I've had trying to get Apple support for an issue on one of my systems.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 12:13 PM in response to Thomar

So I was finally able to get through to the store, but they didn't provide any meaningful help - they can't tell me if they can replace the part without a consultation first.

It strikes me as odd, since I can give them the problem I'm having (need a new battery), the serial number (though AppleCare confirmed they have the parts at the store), so I would expect that they could tell me if I drop it off by X they can have the battery replaced the same day.

Honestly this is the first disappointing experience I've had trying to get Apple support for an issue on one of my systems.

Mar 5, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Kappy

Sadly - when I called the store, I get trapped in the IVR and can't get to a human that can answer that question. I guess the better question is: is it standard operating procedure for the Apple Store to have MacBook Air batteries on-hand and the ability to replace them on-site?

Where I am in Michigan, all of the authorized repair centers are actually shipping the devices back to Apple for repair, but I'm going to be near a store on Saturday and figured it was worth trying to get it replaced there if possible - if not, I'll just use someplace local.

Mar 5, 2015 7:41 PM in response to Thomar

I had mine replaced a few days ago. On the phone, they said I could indeed wait for it. I had a 1:00 service appointment. After we agreed upon the diagnosis, price and such, I indicated that I would be waiting for it. The Tech said, "sure, it will be ready around 6:30.

So the answer is yes, they can do it while you wait....but it may be a few hours. At 6:30 I picked up my Air, and it was good to go.

Just another tidbit of info. The replacement cost $129.00, plus tax. No labor charge to install.

can the apple stores replace a battery while you wait?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.