Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot add Epson Workforce 1100 on USB hub to second Mac

I have just add an Airport Extreme to my home office and I LOVE it. I just added a second printer to the USB hub that also has a hard drive dock. The first one I added, a Zebra thermal label printer, is seen by both my iMac and my MacBook Pro. However, this Epson printer is not. I added it on my iMac 27" very easily, by click the + on the Prints & Scanners dialog.

When I try doing the same on my MacBook Pro, I do not see that printer at all.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 1:14 PM

5 replies

Mar 5, 2015 3:24 PM in response to elvisofdallas

I am unclear what the USB hub is plugged into.

Is it plugged into a Mac or plugged into the AE?

If it is plugged into the AE and Epson works ok on the iMac but is not recognised on the MBP are they running the same OS?

Did you download the latest drivers correct to the OS and install them on the MBP?

If you have Yosemite on both computers and the printer works on one and not on the other.. welcome to the wonderful crazy world of Yosemite.. !!

Mar 5, 2015 3:33 PM in response to LaPastenague

Hi -

I should've been more detailed:

• I have a powered hub plugged into the Airport Express
  • The hub has three things plugged into it:
    • Hard drive dock (removable SATA drive dock)
    • Zebra thermal postage printer
    • Epson Workforce 1100
  • The hard drive and Zebra are accessible (and automatically recognized) on both the iMac and the MacBook Pro
  • iMac 27" is a Late 2009 running 10.9.5
  • MacBook Pro is a Late 2011 running 10.10.2

On the iMac, I simply clicked the + under add printers and it showed "nearby printers" and listed both the Zebra and the Epson. I added the Epson and it downloaded the drivers from Apple.

On the MacBook Pro, there's no Epson visible. I'm suspecting it's a Mavericks vs Yosemite issue, but I'm hoping to find a workaround. I think I can share the printer through the iMac, but that seems likes a convoluted way to get from A to B.

Thanks for reading about my problem and responding!!! 😀

Mar 5, 2015 4:07 PM in response to elvisofdallas

On the MacBook Pro, there's no Epson visible. I'm suspecting it's a Mavericks vs Yosemite issue,

Absolutely right.. Check there is even Yosemite drivers for the Epson.

Let me suggest a full network reboot.. unplug the hdd dock and zebra from the USB hub.. so there is only the Epson.

Reboot the network in correct order.. modem.. wait 2min.. AE and hub.. wait 2 min.. Yosemite computer.. can it now detect the Epson.. if not.. sorry .. network sharing from Mavericks might be the best you can do.. but I would plug the printer into the MBP direct and see if it can be detected and work as a local printer..

As a general note.. using USB printers as network printers is never a great idea. They were designed as local printers.. and the cost difference with modern network capable printers is small..

Mar 5, 2015 4:14 PM in response to LaPastenague

i'll have to try that - these types of printers would be cost-prohibitive to replace with networked versions. A Zebra printer just like this one with networking is $400+ and the Epson is a wide format (13x19) printer. I hate to drop a few hundred dollars when I have something that works greai

Thanks again for the suggestions - you are great!

Mar 9, 2015 4:50 AM in response to elvisofdallas

Solution found, so I am documenting what worked for me just in case other people run into this:

• After this discussion was started, I realized that my Epson (and Zebra) no longer worked through the hub)
    • I powered down the hub (a Belkin USB-to-Go 7-port USB 2.0 hub)
    • Powered it back up
    • Reconnected the Epson to the hub
  • Went to the iMac where the Epson previously worked and it still did not work so
    • I deleted the printer
    • Clicked the + and saw it was available to add back and added it
    • I went to the MacBook Pro and did the same (although I didn't have to delete first, since it was never listed there)

All's well that ends well - I suppose I have to put on the basic IT troubleshooting hat I wore from 20 years back to just patiently walk through the steps of adding a device next time.

@LaPastenague - thank you for reminding me it's an easy process if you are patient. You are right about avoiding use of a standard USB printer with a router (especially with a hub in-between!!!) but I would rather spend a couple of hours of downtime (as I am self-employed) if it can solve the problem over spending $800+ for an actual Zebra brand thermal postage printer that has built-in wireless (or even wired) networking capability. Even though I could get a newer, much better 13x19 printer for under a couple hundred dollars, I have a perfectly good printer here with maybe 100 13x19 prints done in its lifetime. I hated to just give up on it.

Now I know for sure that not only is the Airport Extreme capable of handling multiple printers via a hub without problems, it's probably the *only* consumer-priced router that can. I had multiple other routers here with USB ports and apparently they all used some sort of proprietary interface to make the computer see the printer as a typical LPD or other IP printer. The Airport Extreme distinguishes itself as seamlessly treating printers like direct USB devices (over Bonjour) while the printer on the hub sees the AE as a conventional printer sending data.

VERY happy with my purchase of the AE now and thrilled to be able to share this solution with clients and friends alike. If a router can handle two random printers of somewhat different types and ages so easily over a low-cost ($25 when I got it, now they go used for $50+) hub, it's the router for me!

Best regards to all who took the time to read my post - if anyone has any corrections to my statements (from a technical perspective) or suggestions on improving, please do not hesitate to educate me.

Chris

Cannot add Epson Workforce 1100 on USB hub to second Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.