Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the hall effect sensor on a macbook pro 15" 2010

My 2010 macbook pro 15" won't power on and instead appears to go into a sleep state when pressing the power button. The screen stays dark and the power light pulses. I have reset the PRAM and SMC but it will still not power on. I had this problem last year after replacing the logic board but when it cropped up it would eventually turn on after 10 minutes. Then the problem went away for a long time and suddenly came back and I can't get it to power anymore.

I have done some digging and believe that it may be the hall effect sensor but I am having difficulty finding information on where that is for this model. Anyone have an idea?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 12:42 PM

2 replies

Mar 5, 2015 2:07 PM in response to guyfromomaha

So in this model I believe it's actually a reed switch that controls the sleep sensor because Apple talks about it getting stuck. A Hal.l Effect device wouldn't do that.

The location is on the BIL (Battery Indicator LEDs) cable. It attaches to the logic board just to the right of the keyboard flex cable. So detach that and see if the problem goes away.

You can estimate the position of that sensor by locating the magnet in the side of the display over the battery indicator bar.

Where is the hall effect sensor on a macbook pro 15" 2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.