Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you set the print margins in Preview?

Simple question: Is there a way to set the print margins when printing an image from Preview?

Thanks,

-ME

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 11:07 AM

When you print any document, you have the option of setting the paper size. This may be a menu that is obvious, or you might have to hunt for it in the print dialogue box. However, when found, you can use this to set custom paper sizes, and can use it to set margins when programs do not support their own margin-handling routines. In this menu, choose Manage Custom Sizes, and then add a new size. Name it, then set its overall dimensions followed by the custom non-printable area. Note that this area might have limits for the printer you are using, so this will take some trial and error, but you can set various margin sizes (in inches) using the four boxes in the same window. Here is a screenshot:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2015 11:07 AM in response to EagleSongs

When you print any document, you have the option of setting the paper size. This may be a menu that is obvious, or you might have to hunt for it in the print dialogue box. However, when found, you can use this to set custom paper sizes, and can use it to set margins when programs do not support their own margin-handling routines. In this menu, choose Manage Custom Sizes, and then add a new size. Name it, then set its overall dimensions followed by the custom non-printable area. Note that this area might have limits for the printer you are using, so this will take some trial and error, but you can set various margin sizes (in inches) using the four boxes in the same window. Here is a screenshot:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mar 5, 2015 7:46 PM in response to EagleSongs

EagleSongs wrote:

I can set margins in other programs (like Photoshop, Word, Excel, Firefox, Chrome...), but there does not seem to be a setting for margins when printing from Preview. I don't want to resize the image, just get it to print in a certain position on the paper (template form).

In the case of Photoshop, you are placing an image on a canvas and can position the image to suit. Word and Excel have a Page Setup menu that lets you set the margin positions - which know since you have got the output you wanted. There is no Page Setup menu for most, if not all, Apple applications like Preview. Instead parts of the Page Setup menu have been added to the print dialog but margins is not one of them.

EagleSongs wrote:

However, I was trying to find a way to print from Preview and get it to position the image on the page the way I want.

Understood. Unfortunately you don't get that option in Preview. The image will be centred - both horizontal and vertical - based on the paper size and the printer you have selected in the print dialog. You could create a custom paper size with the margins you want to position the image and then use that custom paper in Preview. But your workaround of using Word gives you more control over the positioning of the image.

Mar 5, 2015 7:00 PM in response to PAHU

OK, after the "No," I don't understand the rest of this answer. I can set margins in other programs (like Photoshop, Word, Excel, Firefox, Chrome...), but there does not seem to be a setting for margins when printing from Preview. I don't want to resize the image, just get it to print in a certain position on the paper (template form).
I'm using a Canon MG6220. I was eventually able to print what I wanted by importing the image into Word and setting the margins there. (I used to be able to print from Photoshop, but CS5 has a bug that makes it crash whenever I try to adjust print settings.) However, I was trying to find a way to print from Preview and get it to position the image on the page the way I want.

Jun 6, 2015 10:53 AM in response to EagleSongs

Create a Word doc with margins you want and save as "Preview Image Template." Then copy image in Preview, open template, paste, print. For example, I set margins at max for printable area on regular Word doc... 0.17" . Quick and sometimes saving the Word doc with image with separate title make work useful in future. Thank you to posts here confirming that there is no way to set margins in Preview. I wasted a lot of time with things like setting print % etc, trying to print from Preview.

Can you set the print margins in Preview?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.