Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has Apple come up with a solution to remove the iPad sidebar in Mail while in landscape mode?

Hi, Everyone.

When I review open Mail, I need to review it in landscape mode, so I can use the ipad cover's keyboard to type my replies. I would like to be able to hide (or even shrink) the sidebar. Unlike the "relative" privacy of viewing your email at your desk, the ipad is meant to be a mobile device: I use it on the train, I take it to meetings, etc. It's annoying to have people looking over my shoulder or sitting next to me in a conference table able to glance over and, in effect, see the names of the last 11 people or entities that have emailed me - with the subjects. (I work in HR, handling a lot of staff and faculty compensation, discipline, ando other politically charged issues - so privacy is kind of a big deal) Yes, I could flip it to portrait mode and hide the sidebar, but that forces me to tilt my cover's bluetooth keyboard 90 degrees to the side and I am not yet proficient in typing sideways.

I've seen mutiple posts over the past year about this. I'm using IOS 8.1.3. Has Apple resolved this or offered a suitable accommodation?

Thank you for any replies.

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 12:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 1:37 PM

TThe answer is simple. No Apple has not implemented a way to hide the preview pane of the mail app when you use the device in landscape mode. I use my iPad in landscape mode 95% of the time as well, so that I can use the larger keys on the virtual keyboard. You can hide the preview of what the emails say I Settings>Mail, contacts, calendars>Preview>None. If you do that, at least you will be hiding the beginning of the message so that nobody can read it. I realize that's not your solution, but it might help.

I also suggest that you leave feedback for Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Broman5

TThe answer is simple. No Apple has not implemented a way to hide the preview pane of the mail app when you use the device in landscape mode. I use my iPad in landscape mode 95% of the time as well, so that I can use the larger keys on the virtual keyboard. You can hide the preview of what the emails say I Settings>Mail, contacts, calendars>Preview>None. If you do that, at least you will be hiding the beginning of the message so that nobody can read it. I realize that's not your solution, but it might help.

I also suggest that you leave feedback for Apple.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Has Apple come up with a solution to remove the iPad sidebar in Mail while in landscape mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.