Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I save my first Time Capsule backup on to an external hard drive?

How so I save my first Time Capsule backup to an external hard drive?

Airport Time Capsule 802.11ac, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 1:24 PM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2015 1:42 PM in response to ksreagan

I am not 100% clear what you are asking but the Time Capsule backup can be done by plugging a USB drive into your TC and use the archive feature in the airport utility. The USB drive must be as big as all the data on the TC.. so in my case you see I have a little over 500GB used so I need a 1TB drive.

User uploaded file

If you mean something different please excuse my wrong interpretation and explain in a bit more detail what you are trying to achieve.

Mar 10, 2015 6:13 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thanks for your response.

I originally intended to use my Time Capsule as an external hard drive. When I educated myself further, I realized that it will erase information as soon as it runs out of space. The first backup completed by Time Machine to my Time Capsule has files on it that are no longer on my laptop, so I would like to save my first Time Machine backup onto my new external hard drive. Not sure how to accomplish this.

Mar 10, 2015 3:26 PM in response to ksreagan

Do you want to save the files in readable form .. or inside the TM backup?

You have two choices.. do a full recovery to the USB drive.. so you effectively have all the files as they existed on the disk when that backup was made.

Or simply copy the TM backup sparsebundle to the disk and keep it.. you can then access the files via Time Machine.

In either case it can be done with the external drive connected to the computer. For a save of the sparsebundle .. a simple copy and paste will work.

How do I save my first Time Capsule backup on to an external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.