Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does your phone have to be activated for the Find My Phone app to work?

My phone was stolen and someone turned it off. We disconnected the # and turned on all the Find My Phone settings. Does it still work if the phone is disconnected or suspended?

iPhone 5s

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:54 PM

If you have suspended the cellular account, then the only way the device could be tracked is if it connects to Wi-Fi. For Find My iPhone to work, the device has to have Find My iPhone activated before it is lost/stolen, the device has to be powered on, and it has to have an active internet connection. If any of those is not in that state, then it cannot be tracked. Did the device have a passcode? Do you know what version of iOS? If it had a passcode, then the thief will not be able to get into the phone. And, if they try to restore it, if you have iOS 7 or above, then Activation Lock will prevent them from being able to activate the device, it will be useless to them.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 3:54 PM in response to masonlindsly

If you have suspended the cellular account, then the only way the device could be tracked is if it connects to Wi-Fi. For Find My iPhone to work, the device has to have Find My iPhone activated before it is lost/stolen, the device has to be powered on, and it has to have an active internet connection. If any of those is not in that state, then it cannot be tracked. Did the device have a passcode? Do you know what version of iOS? If it had a passcode, then the thief will not be able to get into the phone. And, if they try to restore it, if you have iOS 7 or above, then Activation Lock will prevent them from being able to activate the device, it will be useless to them.

Does your phone have to be activated for the Find My Phone app to work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.