Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Soft Windows 98

I had SoftWindows 98 installed on my iMac several years ago, because there was a genealogy program that I need to use in the Windows environment. I finally am getting back into genealogy and need to use that program again. However, I am having problems trying to open Soft Windows 98.

I am wondering if I would cause problems if I simply re-installed softWindows? Would it cause problems in the Mac OS 10.4.8?

desktop Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Oct 11, 2006 6:13 AM

6 replies

Oct 13, 2006 5:24 AM in response to Pedro

I'm a bit embarrased to ask this, but what is a PPC Mac and how does it differ from my desktop?

I've used MAC's for years, but have been out of the country for 1 1/2 years and had to use the "other kind" of computer. I'm way behind the new stuff, and some of what I used to know has been forgotten, and then add new updates and I'm on a learning curve again.

Oct 13, 2006 5:52 PM in response to Jeanjp

JeanJP:
I had to make an intuitive guess that by "desktop" you were referring to an older PowerPC driven Mac. And now, as you had stated you were away from Macs for a long period, yours is probably a G4.

If I have guessed correctly then you are in a position to run Virtual PC. VPC is not compatible with IntelMacs and never will be.

What you will need is an earlier version of VPC, say version 4 or 5, and you will need Windows 98 to install in it. Probably your best bet is to browse E-Bay. VPC used to be supplied with a Windows OS and Win98 or WinMe would be the way to go.

Soft Windows 98

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.