Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I erase ... ?

In the App folder, I have iWork08 which contains Keynote (version 4.0.4), Numbers (1.0.3), and Pages (3.0.3); iWork09 which contains Keynote (5.3), Numbers (2.3) and Pages (4.3); and lastly, stand alone Keynote (6.5.2), Numbers (3.5.2) and Pages (5.5.2)

Can I erase iWork08 and iWork09 since they appear to be older versions of the same stand alone files?

This is on a MacBook Air (mid 2011) running Yosemite 10.10.2.

Thanks.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 5:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 5:57 PM

Hi Dwight,

I would keep the older versions. They have features that the latest versions do not have.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

The trick is to drag icons for both versions to your Dock. Right click or control click on each and Options > Keep in Dock. That puts you in charge of which version you launch.

Here is a screen shot of Numbers and Pages icons on my Dock.

Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09) on the left with a three column graph.

Numbers 3.5.2 on the right with a four column graph.

Pages '09 the ink bottle.

Pages 5 the (umm? yes, well...)

User uploaded file

All versions will run happily together. Just be sure which version is opening your document.

Instead of double clicking the document, run whichever version of Numbers/Pages/Keynote suits and use File > Open.

Regards,

Ian.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 5:57 PM in response to dwightfromapex

Hi Dwight,

I would keep the older versions. They have features that the latest versions do not have.

Wayne Contello has written a User Tip for working with the old and new versions of iWork.

Need newer version of Numbers to open file

The trick is to drag icons for both versions to your Dock. Right click or control click on each and Options > Keep in Dock. That puts you in charge of which version you launch.

Here is a screen shot of Numbers and Pages icons on my Dock.

Numbers 2.3 (Numbers '09) on the left with a three column graph.

Numbers 3.5.2 on the right with a four column graph.

Pages '09 the ink bottle.

Pages 5 the (umm? yes, well...)

User uploaded file

All versions will run happily together. Just be sure which version is opening your document.

Instead of double clicking the document, run whichever version of Numbers/Pages/Keynote suits and use File > Open.

Regards,

Ian.

Mar 7, 2015 1:49 AM in response to dwightfromapex

Hi Dwight,

Thanks for the gold star and your feedback.

The latest versions of iWork will not open iWork '08 documents.

To future-safe them, might I suggest that you open iWork '08 documents in iWork'09 and save them.

Then open them in the latest versions (I call them iWork '13) and save under a new name (just in case iWork '09 someday joins the graveyard of iWork '08 😉).

Important data can be saved as plain text (in an app such as TextEdit). You will lose the formatting, but I believe that plain text will survive long after new operating systems abandon current apps.

Regards,

Ian.

Can I erase ... ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.