Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book Air charging problems

Hi,

I have two Mac Book Airs and both of them have been having charging problems in the last couple months. There doesn't seem to be any consistency to the problem. I've read through all the posts and tried resetting the power settings, heating the charger. It seems to me to be a software issue, like possibly something to do with the latest OS update. Both are up to date.

Anyone else think this might be the case?

Thanks.

Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:24 PM

7 replies

Mar 6, 2015 2:29 PM in response to my ginger

There are a lot of people who say that heating their chargers helped, but it didn't help me.

It's hard to say what the problem is because it's so sporadic. Sometimes the batteries charge and sometimes they don't. Sometimes the green light is on, but the batteries don't charge. Sometimes the green light doesn't turn on. Sometimes I close it and it stops charging. Sometimes it doesn't.

On one of the computers, it sometimes takes days before it works again. And then, for no reason at all, after a few days, the light on the charger comes on and it charges fine. But then it won't charge again for awhile. Usually.

Mar 6, 2015 2:50 PM in response to Mike Walker1

When a charger is plugged in and working they are warm to the touch. Ok. things to try. SMC reset. With power cord attached, shut down computer and then Hold down the Command/Option?Shift keys with power button for 10 seconds. Check battery condition. while holding down the option key, click on the battery icon. Check mag safe.https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203207 This next one has links in it to use. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204054

Mar 17, 2015 8:44 PM in response to my ginger

No. one is a newer model with a different power plug.

They both seem to be getting worse despite having good batteries. When they do charge, they work fine. One, which used to charge regularly, now will only charge if I wake it from sleep and then unplug it and re plug it.

The other sits like a brick for a week and then strangely starts charging again.

Mac Book Air charging problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.