Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

logic pro x master bounce sounds different to final mix

Hello,

I've mixed my track in logic pro x and bounced it as an AIFF file (since that is the recording file type setting in preferences) with the sample rate set the same, normalise off, no effects, limiters, compression or anything on the master output, with peaks of around -4 decibels. When I then import the bounced AIFF file back into logic as a new project, the track sounds different, with some instruments noticeably lower in the mix. The instruments that are lower seem to be guitars that once had some relatively intense modulation but I've checked these tracks and they've already been bounced in place.

I've tried bouncing the track as a WAV file but this sounds the same. At this point I'm stuck because I can't rely on how my final mix sounds.

This is my first ever mastering attempt so it's not as if I've ever done this correctly and have a basis of comparison.

It's just occurred to me that it might be down to my bus settings. The trouble is i haven't the foggiest idea of what a bus even is, I'll go and look it up but for what it's worth, here's a screenshot of the right section of the mixing desk:

User uploaded file

That's probably too many busses, right? Any advice anyone can spare for me would be HUGELY appreciated!

Cheers,

B

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:21 PM

2 replies

Mar 6, 2015 11:51 AM in response to DaCaptain

I've spoken with a couple of long time studio engineers who say the phase inversion test has it's limits and that if you turn the volume up on your playback device you will almost always hear something.

On my PC I use Soundforge, it can examine two files and pull out the difference between them, sure enough, I examined two identical files (one phase inverted) using Soundforge, pulled the difference out then normalized the difference to 50%, there's a lot there. Some would call it "ambience" but also quiet fragments of instruments/voice will creep in and fade out.

logic pro x master bounce sounds different to final mix

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.