Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant create partitions with bootcamp

Hi, I'm a new mac user, bought a macbook pro 15 yesterday, and i'm trying to use the bootcamp to install windows 8.1 . However I can't get get past the partition step because it says i can't create a new one because it can't move some files. Is this normal on a new macbook? How can i get this fixed and install windows 8.1(i need this urgently for working purposes).

Thank you very much

SCasaleiro

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 4:09 PM

9 replies

Mar 5, 2015 4:34 PM in response to scasaleiro

1. First, try Disk Utility Repair and boot in Safe Mode - OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support.

2. Reset SMC and PRAM/NVRAM - Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) - Apple Support and OS X Yosemite: Reset your computer’s PRAM.

3. If the first 2 do not work, then backup your Mac to a Time Machine, use Internet Recovery - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support and erase your internal drive and restore from TM, and then try BCA again.

Mar 5, 2015 6:27 PM in response to scasaleiro

If this is a brand new Mac, and you do not have any files to save, you can also use Internet Recovery Command+Opt+R (Reference - OS X: About OS X Recovery - Apple Support), re-install OSX and retry. This leaves your files untouched.

If the files need to be saved, and you have a USB stick on which they will fit, manually copy them (rather than a Time Machine backup), and use Internet Recovery and erase/re-install OSX, and try BCA partition on your disk. If it succeeds, install Windows, and then copy your files from the USB back to the OSX side. Another variant, if the disk space required to save files is less than 2GB, use a service like DropBox and use a free account to upload/save your files. Google Drive or SkyDrive or iCloud can also be used similarly.

Cant create partitions with bootcamp

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.