Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphone 5 suddenly stopped picking up wifi unless right next to router.

It's not the router: works fine on all other devices and has been on the phone until today. I've tried all the fixes such as resetting router, resetting phone, resetting networks, resetting the whole **** phone to factory settings...NOTHING WORKED. Still only connects to the wifi if my phone is literally sitting on the router. VERY FRUSTRATED. Someone please tell me there's a fix and that I don't have to pay someone money to repair an expensive phone that should do what it's supposed to do.

iPhone 5, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:59 PM

You can test your iPhone on some other networks to see if the problem also occurs there. If the problem does occur in other networks your iPhone probably has a hardware problem possibly with the antenna. Problems like this could be caused by dropping the phone or just bad luck.

See here for repair info: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 3:59 PM in response to Orwalsh89

You can test your iPhone on some other networks to see if the problem also occurs there. If the problem does occur in other networks your iPhone probably has a hardware problem possibly with the antenna. Problems like this could be caused by dropping the phone or just bad luck.

See here for repair info: http://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/other/

Mar 5, 2015 4:10 PM in response to JimHdk

Yes, I've tested it on several networks. It only connects when I'm next to a router. Otherwise it doesn't pick up any signal. Yesterday it would pick up several networks from neighbours etc. Does this mean its a hardware problem? I have an otterbox on my phone and didn't drop it today so I thought it must be software. The resets didn't help though and I can't afford the cost of a repair at the moment. So as far as apple are concerned it's my problem now that i've had it over a year?

Mar 5, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Orwalsh89

Have you tried removing the case as a last resort? If you have restored the device as new, not from a backup and did not put any content back on the device and it still did not work, then it is not software. You need to make an appointment at the Genius Bar of the nearest Apple store or Authorized Apple Service provider to get it checked. As far as your question about it being your problem, if the device is out of warranty, then you would need to pay, correct. However, an out of warranty replacement is cheaper than a new phone. That is the same as any manufacturer that has a warranty.

Mar 5, 2015 4:30 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

The case has always been on and it hasn't been an issue before. I tried it just to be sure but the issue persists. There's also no authorised service providers in Dublin, Ireland according to the apple website. 😠 Phone wasn't bought with a contract so my service provider wouldn't help me out there either. Looks like a repair costs 250 bucks? If the antenna is still working when i'm next to the router does that just mean it's come loose or something? Should I look into replacing or repairing it myself?

Mar 5, 2015 4:48 PM in response to Orwalsh89

The iPhone is not user serviceable. Apple does not sell parts, but that doesn't stop 3rd party repair facilities. The decision of what to do with the device is up to you. However, once you open the device, then any post-warranty support is voided and Apple will no longer service the device.

See this support document for service options in Ireland. Contact Apple for support and service - Apple Support Just locate Ireland and it provides a number there for Apple Care.

Mar 5, 2015 5:30 PM in response to Orwalsh89

Orwalsh89 wrote:

The case has always been on and it hasn't been an issue before. I tried it just to be sure but the issue persists. There's also no authorised service providers in Dublin, Ireland according to the apple website. 😠 Phone wasn't bought with a contract so my service provider wouldn't help me out there either. Looks like a repair costs 250 bucks? If the antenna is still working when i'm next to the router does that just mean it's come loose or something? Should I look into replacing or repairing it myself?

The problem could be due to a loose antenna but it's impossible to say for sure.

If you would like to see what a repair to this area would entail see here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iPhone+5+Wi-Fi+Antenna+Replacement/10897

it's not for the faint of heart.

Iphone 5 suddenly stopped picking up wifi unless right next to router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.