Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto issue

I get "Caution The iPhoto Library is locked, or on a locked disc, or you do not have permission to make changes to it" when I try to launch it, even though I've double-checked and nothing is locked and I do have permission as far as I can tell. What gives?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 3:34 PM

Couple of things to try:

Restart your mac and try launch iPhoto again.

If that fails:

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a file called ‘iPhoto’Lock.data or similar. Drag it to the Desktop. Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

If not: Where is your iPhoto Library stored? If it's on an External Disk, what format is that?

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 3:34 PM in response to dave-id

Couple of things to try:

Restart your mac and try launch iPhoto again.

If that fails:

Go to your Pictures Folder and find the iPhoto Library there. Right (or Control-) Click on the icon and select 'Show Package Contents'. A finder window will open with the Library exposed.

Look there for a file called ‘iPhoto’Lock.data or similar. Drag it to the Desktop. Make no other changes. Start iPhoto. Does that help?

If not: Where is your iPhoto Library stored? If it's on an External Disk, what format is that?

Mar 5, 2015 4:09 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks for trying to help out! The restart didn't change anything, still get the message.

Dragging the "iPhotoLock.data" to the destop didn't work either. Also I noted that it doesn't actually drag out of the folder to the desktop, but gets copied there instead and still remains in the exposed window. My iPhoto Library is in the Pictures folder.

When I used Control Click on iPhotoLock.data and chose "move to trash," it left that folder and iPhoto launched... creating an other iPhotoLock.data file with today's date in the exposed window.

So THANKS VERY MUCH! I think I'm good to go now! Fingers crossed.

Mar 6, 2015 9:43 AM in response to dave-id

There's another file inside the iPhoto Library package that may be the culprit. See this post by LInc Davis:

Linc Davis

Re: Locked iPhoto Library unable to open

Jun 10, 2014 10:29 AM (in response to FreezeTech)

This issue can be caused by sharing the photo library on a network (against Apple's advice) or by opening it in more than one local user account at the same time. You may be able to clear the error by logging out or restarting the computer. If not, do as follows.

Quit iPhoto if it's running, locally or on any file-sharing client. Select the iPhoto Library in the Finder. Usually it's in the Pictures folder, but you may have moved it somewhere else. Right-click or control-click the library icon and select

Show Package Contents

from the popup menu. In the folder that opens, navigate to

Database/apdb/lockfile.pid

and move that file, if it exists, to the Trash. Close the Finder window.

Credit for this observation to ASC member Elijahg.

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2015 9:52 AM in response to Yer_Man

I followed those directions and the new library imported the jpeg just fine! I closed iPhoto did a few other things with the computer, then went back and opened it again. It opened fine and chose the new library with the jeg in it.

Fingers crossed this may have actually done it! 🙂 THANK YOU Terence!

iPhoto issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.