Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can 2010 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8 with VMFusion 3.1.4 run Windows XP SP3 software?

Can a MacBook Pro purchased in 2010 running OS X 10.6.8 run Windows XP SP3 and install TurboTax software for 2014?

Purchased TurboTax, but after opening the package, discovered I have to have OS X 10.7 or higher to install/use it. Upgrading the OS would be cost prohibitive (have Adobe CS4 and MS Office 2008 software that I can't lose use of). I have VMFusion 3.1.4 already installed. Can I simply buy Windows XP SP3 and then install and use TurboTax (I called them and their answer was to upgrade my OS)? The OS requirements on the TT box label lists XP service pack 3+ as the minimum Windows requirement. I'm looking for the least expensive way to solve this problem. Suggestion welcome and greatly appreciated. Thank you!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 6:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:57 PM

If the only reason you want to run a higher version of OS X you could use a flash drive and install the OS onto the flash drive and boot via the USB device. That way you can have several OS versions to suit your need. It will be quite a bit slower however if you are just using it for Turbo Tax then it may be worth the annoyance of a slower response .

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 7:57 PM in response to kc93611

If the only reason you want to run a higher version of OS X you could use a flash drive and install the OS onto the flash drive and boot via the USB device. That way you can have several OS versions to suit your need. It will be quite a bit slower however if you are just using it for Turbo Tax then it may be worth the annoyance of a slower response .

Mar 6, 2015 10:29 AM in response to RRFS

Thank you, RRFS, for your reply. I am a relative novice at some of this and didn't know that was even possible. How do I accomplish that and how large (how much space) a drive is needed for the external device in order to do it? I have an external manual back-up drive with some empty space. Could it be used (and be faster) rather than purchasing a large capacity flash drive? I obviously need all the help and info I can get on this situation. Thank you!

Mar 6, 2015 1:03 PM in response to kc93611

If you get a fast 32GB flash drive it will be plenty to run Yosemite. Then go to the Apple App Site and load the install for Yosemite onto the flash drive after you have used Disk Utility to format the drive as "Mac Extended OS (journaled)". Once the install has loaded (this may take an hour or more) then you could load Turbo Tax onto the same drive. From there you reboot your system holding the "option" key and use the flash drive as the startup drive. If you want to use Migration Assistant you can also move all your current settings and accounts into the flash drive.

Here is the link to the page at the Apple Store:

http://www.apple.com/osx/?cid=wwa-us-kwg-mac-com

If you need more help reply and I'll give it a shot.

Mar 6, 2015 2:20 PM in response to kc93611

I don't see any MacBook Pro with Retina for the 2010 models.

If you click on the Apple in the upper left screen and then "About This Mac" you will get a drop menu that tells you about your Mac. The processors (i3, i5 or i7 and how many cores) and the amount of RAM would be good to list so we can give you an estimate of the ability of your system to run the more recent OS. You should have at least 4GB of RAM but 8GB would be better.

Mar 6, 2015 8:52 PM in response to RRFS

Sorry, my bad. I have the "non-glare" screen so assumed that was what they referred to as the "Retina Display." I still may not have it 100% right, but have changed that and added "other info" you mentioned here above, including the Core (i7) and various details in the "About" info pop-up. It's all so technical! Didn't know that was so important, but now I do. Thanks for the education. I'm behind on technology now and need it!

Bought a Cruzer Glide 128GB USB Flash Drive today (on sale for a ridiculously low price due to over-stock at Best Buy) and will attempt your instructions this weekend. Thank you for the step-by-step. I'm sure that will make all the difference! I will try not to "bug" you, yet so very much appreciate your offer of additional assistance if needed. I'll update again after working your steps. Thanks again! Hopefully this will be the fix that's needed.

Side Note: I haven't upgraded to 10.7 before because I've read conflicting info about the compatibility for both Adobe CS4 and MS Office 2008. Some report no issues, others report exactly the opposite with great regrets. I provide freelance writing, editing, proofing and graphic design services and can't afford to be up the creek with those most critical programs. If there truly are no compatibility issues and my MacBook Pro can run 10.7 without issues, I am not opposed to upgrading. Just can't set myself up for any unexpected surprises at this time. Is there a way you're aware of that I can settle those questions/concerns once and for all (without finding out the hard way)? Thank you!

Mar 7, 2015 11:23 AM in response to RRFS

Yikes! Clicked the free upgrade button and it immediately started downloading to wherever it wanted without giving me the choice to select the flash drive or any location. Paused the download in order to be sure I'm not going to mess this up. OS X 10.10.x is the only option I see. Wasn't able to find a 10.7 version, let alone choose where to save. Freaking out just a bit at this point . . . Suggestions please? Thank you!

Mar 8, 2015 5:29 PM in response to kc93611

When you download the Yosemite upgrade it will create an "installer file". Make sure you have used "Disk Utility" to erase and format the Cruiser Drive to "Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Once the file is downloaded, you open the installer and then you will be asked where you want to install the OS. Allow the installer to finish its installation onto the USB drive, once it finishes you then reboot your Mac and hold the "Option" key during the restart and you will see two choices from which to boot. Select the new OS and go through the setup of your new OS.

You don't see older versions of OS systems at the App Store because that's how they roll.

You are correct that any OS newer than 10.6.8 will not support programs that used Rosetta so I keep a partition handy just for those times I want to use my vintage programs.

Your MacBook Pro can be upgraded by installing a SSD (solid state drive) and maxing out your RAM. Visit a site like OWC.com (macsales) and you can see how much it would cost. Considering that you have an i7 processor it is still a very capable machine and you would be breathing new life into an older powerhouse. They have links to videos showing how to make the upgrades. They aren't hard to do as long as you take your time and follow the steps they show. Most of the instructions will be specific to your model Mac.

Mar 8, 2015 7:57 PM in response to RRFS

What lessons in technology! Yeah, after digging more online I found out and continued the installation. Sure wish I'd had the foresight to ask you in advance for a recommendation on what flash drive to buy! The Cruzer is clearly NOT fast. It took long into the night after I was asleep to finish the install to the point of needing the next input from me. Then, today I made the unfortunate choice to go ahead and use Migration Assistant to transfer only the settings. After over eight long hours today I finally aborted that because it seemed to be hung at the same place on the status bar for most of that time. Whether I've messed it all up completely by doing that, I don't know; but after rebooting on the old OS, I checked the flash drive and it looks like the OS X 10.10 files are on there. Just don't know if it would consider any/all of them corrupt since I aborted the settings migration, if I tried to boot from it. Hopefully Not. But that was so slow, I'm hesitant to even try it now. At this point based on how slow it's all been and my need to get this tax stuff accomplished, I'm about ready to abandon this particular attempt at a work-around, declare it a failure and go purchase Parallels and Windows 7 software because this has been grueling for two entire days and I'm still seemingly not close to being operational. Or alternatively, handle the taxes completely differently this year.

Seems my quest for the least expensive option is now likely a non-workable fix, so I may be stuck with the next least expensive? Thank you SO MUCH for all the suggestions and assistance. Anything else you are willing to recommend is greatly appreciated.

Great ideas for sprucing up my machine. I will check those out in the near future. Thanks for all these tips! Do you have an opinion or recommendation regarding Parallels and Windows or if it's even worth it (if if I can use Fusion and save the other costs)? I have an old version of VMware Fusion 3.1.4 installed with my X 10.6.8, but don't know where to find a Windows version old enough to be compatible with that (and think it requires a disk to load from, not just a download. Too much technical expertise required for my lack of know-how, I'm afraid.

Also, did you have an opinion or suggestion regarding my "Side Note" from earlier in this conversation about those specific software incompatibility concerns? I would be very interested in your thoughts on that as well.

Thank you again, so very much! Take care.

Can 2010 MacBook Pro running OS X 10.6.8 with VMFusion 3.1.4 run Windows XP SP3 software?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.