Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 3 won't update

I bought an Apple TV 3 a couple of years ago. It is connected by WiFi and Ethernet. Since purchase and set up, it would stream content, but will not update. Any thoughts? Is this an issue with the firewall?

Apple TV (3rd generation), Other OS

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 6:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:14 PM

TheChutes wrote:

It is connected by WiFi and Ethernet.

It can't be wired and connecting via wifi at the same time, only other devices would continue to transmit over wifi for things like airplay/home sharing. Is the Apple TV connected to the router via ethernet or is it setup for wifi?

What exactly is occurring when you attempt to update? Is there an error?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2015 7:14 PM in response to TheChutes

TheChutes wrote:

It is connected by WiFi and Ethernet.

It can't be wired and connecting via wifi at the same time, only other devices would continue to transmit over wifi for things like airplay/home sharing. Is the Apple TV connected to the router via ethernet or is it setup for wifi?

What exactly is occurring when you attempt to update? Is there an error?

Mar 5, 2015 7:29 PM in response to vazandrew

Thanks for the reply. The network is set up via ethernet. The wifi is connected for airplay etc. It prompts to update periodically, but when I click "update now" it starts preparing the update for a while then after about 30 minutes a message pops up saying update cannot be completed. I can't remember the exact message right now, but I will run it again to get it. All the services like netflix work. As an aside, the firmware on my Marantz receiver also won't update.

Apple TV 3 won't update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.