Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini fan on high, UI frozen. Had to shut it off. Any way to tell what the problem was when I boot it back up?

I leave my Mac Mini on constantly as a HTPC. I came home after being at work all day to find the fan on high and the lock screen incredibly sluggish. I have no idea how long it was like that, it's never done anything like it before. I couldn't login because it was too slow, I had to force it to shut off. Is there any way to see what it could've been when I boot it up, such as log files or something like that? I was hoping to get in to see top or the activity monitor but as I said earlier, I wasn't able to log in.

Mac mini (Late 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Not sure if 10.10.1 or 10.10.2

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 5:56 PM

3 replies

Mar 5, 2015 7:12 PM in response to morsalmarzur215

System log told the story.

I uninstalled TeamViewer (or at least dragged it to the trash) months ago. Log was filled with launchd trying to start the teamviewer service and it crashing because the .app file wasn't there anymore. Had been doing it for hours and hours and hours. Not sure what prompted it in the first place, the logs were cut off.

Mar 6, 2015 9:25 AM in response to lllaass

I had TeamViewer 9 installed. The Preferences window that contained the Uninstall button would not open so I just moved the .app to the trash. Last night I:

• Installed TeamViewer 10 as it was the latest version, I figured I had that one previously
  • Uninstalled it using the preferences pane
  • Realized from the /private/var/db/receipts (I think) entries that I had TV9 installed previously, not 10
  • Installed TeamViewer 9
  • Tried to uninstall TV9, found the broken preferences pane and remembered why I just deleted it in the first place
  • Upgraded it to TV10
  • Uninstalled it using the preferences pane

I'll check on it tonight, but I think it's okay. I want to do a grep -r -i "teamviewer" / when I get back to see if anything is left behind.

Mac Mini fan on high, UI frozen. Had to shut it off. Any way to tell what the problem was when I boot it back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.