Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when attempting to copy music files from library to iphone, a grey circle appears and does not copy.

When attempting to copy music files from my library over to my phone, many of the files actually copy over, but a vast number of them do not. Intead, a grey circle appears next to the files that do not copy and it stays like that indefinitely. How do I resolve this problem?

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 9:08 PM

5 replies

Mar 6, 2015 10:46 AM in response to APan

If syncing isn't working as it should do the following steps usually work to clean things up.

1. Backup device.
  2. Restore as a new device.
  3. Restore the backup taken earlier.

You should probably copy off the contents of the camera roll first unless you have Photo Stream set up and it reliably captures everything. It also assumes that all media content on the device is in your library. If that might not be the case see Recover your iTunes library from your iPod or iOS device.

tt2

Mar 7, 2015 12:57 AM in response to turingtest2

I have the same problem with manually transferring music to my iPad. This has only occurred since updating to iTunes 12. when I first connected my iPad a lot of music was removed from it even though syncing was disabled. Since then I cannot transfer anything. Your solution seems a little drastic to me; if I wipe all my music I risk not being able to transfer any music back. Is the problem with the latest version of iTunes? If so will Apple fix it?

Mar 7, 2015 3:00 AM in response to Chris Hallam

I don't think this is a version specific issue, nor do I expect a new build of iTunes to be able to resolve it for you. My experience is that once things have gone wrong like this the "backup - restore as new - restore backup" process is the way to fix things properly. It is worth noting that iTunes maintains a single rolling backup for each device until such time as you restore the device. When you restore from a backup it becomes archived and a new rolling backup is created. With this in mind it is probably good practice to backup and then restore every few months to avoid a situation where you don't realise that you need to restore until after whatever problems you have are replicated to the only backup.

tt2

Mar 7, 2015 9:30 AM in response to APan

I got my problem resolved, although I did not particular like the solution. At least I didn't have to do a complete restore. I found the solution in another forum discussion.

With your device plugged into your computer, navigate to the summary page of your device.

1. Check the box that is labelled, "convert higher bit rates to..." That's not the exactly wording (I don't have iTunes up right now), but it's something like that.
  2. On your device, delete the offending greyed out files.
  3. Disconnect your device from the computer and then reconnect it.
  4. Once your device shows up in iTunes again, you can successfully drag your music files over to your device.

I dragged about 30 files that previously would not copy and 28 of them indicated they copied over successfully. The other two files had the greyed out circles next to them, but when I looked on my device, I could see (and play) the files actually did successfully copy over to the device. Even though iTunes shows that the files were not fully copied over, they did, so I got what I wanted. Hope this solution helps y'all too.

Mar 7, 2015 10:02 AM in response to APan

Thanks Apan I will try this when I get back to my PC. I still think that this a version specific whatever they say, too many people have had problems with 12. Apple seem to have dropped the ball on this one, maybe I should move to Google Play but no doubt that'll have it's quirks.

APan wrote:

I got my problem resolved, although I did not particular like the solution. At least I didn't have to do a complete restore. I found the solution in another forum discussion.

With your device plugged into your computer, navigate to the summary page of your device.

1. Check the box that is labelled, "convert higher bit rates to..." That's not the exactly wording (I don't have iTunes up right now), but it's something like that.
  2. On your device, delete the offending greyed out files.
  3. Disconnect your device from the computer and then reconnect it.
  4. Once your device shows up in iTunes again, you can successfully drag your music files over to your device.

I dragged about 30 files that previously would not copy and 28 of them indicated they copied over successfully. The other two files had the greyed out circles next to them, but when I looked on my device, I could see (and play) the files actually did successfully copy over to the device. Even though iTunes shows that the files were not fully copied over, they did, so I got what I wanted. Hope this solution helps y'all too.

when attempting to copy music files from library to iphone, a grey circle appears and does not copy.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.