Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Driving an external display with the INTEGRATED graphics in clamshell mode

I just got back my 2011 MBP after the GPU fix. While Apple has made some changes to the design, it still uses the same AMD GPU and I can't say I really have confidence in it (or any AMD Radeon products, for that matter.) If possible, I want to minimize using it to try to prolong the life of the computer.

When I am using an external display, or wired to a TV using HDMI, I would like to be able to use the Intel integrated graphics so that the AMD GPU is not generating immense heat from continuously running. Based on specs for the integrated Intel graphics of Sandy Bridge, it appears the integrated is more than enough to drive an external for things like basic computing or streaming video.

Currently, the AMD GPU is immediately switched to when an external is hooked up regardless of any other factors. A program like GFXCardStatus will not allow me to manually switch to integrated when in clamshell mode or hooked to an external display.

Is there any way around this or anyone who might write a program for it? Given how many of us have had 2011 MacBook Pro issues with the GPU, there has to be at least some other people interested in this?

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 7:39 PM

There are no replies.

Driving an external display with the INTEGRATED graphics in clamshell mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.