Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why am I forced to by apps again once new versions are released?

I own an iPhone 4s and just upgraded to a 6. Obviously, I want and expect to use the apps I have purchased. Now that everything is stored in the cloud with my id I figured, no problem. Not with two apps. Not only can I not transfer them with my Mac using iTunes but when I go to the app store I am asked to buy them again! What kind of scam is this? There is no reason why I should have to pay to download apps I already own just because I upgraded my phone. This is extortion at its finest! Very disappointing from a company that prides itself on customer service.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:02 PM

6 replies

Mar 5, 2015 8:21 PM in response to FBICIADEANSA

Make a list of the affected apps, it would help to know what they are.

I suspect you are finding apps that updated to iOS 6 version via paid updates. I suspect the previous copies are too old to be able to run on iOS 6, what iOS did they come from?

Sadly Apples lousy app store rules prohibit upgrade pricing, so you have no choice to pay again if you want these apps. You also can't go back to an earlier iOS.

Welcome to the walled garden.

Mar 6, 2015 4:01 AM in response to Drew Reece

The two apps are Dragon's Lair and Dragon's Lair 2. To be clear, I am running the same operating system on both my iPhones. All I did was buy a new iPhone. In order to download the above apps to my new iPhone 6 I am ask to pay $4.99 a peace. I already paid the $4.99 to download these I should not have to pay to download these items just because I bought a new iPhone.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 6, 2015 12:29 PM in response to FBICIADEANSA

The other posters are correct, provided you are using the same Apple ID, they should be able to be installed on the new device.

In the app store on the device can you navigate to your purchases? For me on iOS 7 it is in the Updates tab, at the top of the list.

Also in iTunes on the computer select the app in question in the list of iOS Applications, 'File > Get Info', view the summary tab. That will list the Apple ID it was purchased under.

Why am I forced to by apps again once new versions are released?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.