Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

wi-fi network you selected is not providing an internet connection

Got a new iPad mini and am trying to set it up. I've got it connected to my wireless network, but it won't go any further. The message says "No Network Connection. The Wi-Fi network you selected is not providing an internet connection. Change your settings or choose a different network." Not sure what to do. I do have internet because I am using my laptop on the same network and have internet on it (as I type this). Is this something to do with my router settings? I know it's set on WPA2 (AES).

Thanks.

iPad Mini

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 10:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:54 AM

You may not really be connected to your WiFi network.

Your router may not have given your iPad a valid IP address. Go to Settings > Wifi > your network name and touch the "i" to the right to see the network details. If the IP address shown starts with 169 or is blank then your router didn't provide an IP address and you won't be able to access the Internet.

Sometimes the fix can be as simple as restarting your router (remove power for 30 seconds and restart). Do not reset your router. Next, reset network settings on your iPad (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and then attempt to connect. In other cases it might be necessary to update the router's firmware with the latest from the manufacturer's support web pages.

If you need more help please give more details on your network, i.e., your router make, model and version, the wifi security being used (WEP, WPA, WPA2), etc.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 12:54 AM in response to tigris32

You may not really be connected to your WiFi network.

Your router may not have given your iPad a valid IP address. Go to Settings > Wifi > your network name and touch the "i" to the right to see the network details. If the IP address shown starts with 169 or is blank then your router didn't provide an IP address and you won't be able to access the Internet.

Sometimes the fix can be as simple as restarting your router (remove power for 30 seconds and restart). Do not reset your router. Next, reset network settings on your iPad (Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings) and then attempt to connect. In other cases it might be necessary to update the router's firmware with the latest from the manufacturer's support web pages.

If you need more help please give more details on your network, i.e., your router make, model and version, the wifi security being used (WEP, WPA, WPA2), etc.

Mar 6, 2015 1:53 AM in response to JimHdk

Jim - your first sentence might cause confusion. The wifi symbol is showing because the iPad is connected to the WiFi network. The problem is as the message says. "The WiFi network is not providing an internet connection". The beginning of the error message is misleading: "No network connection" refers to the connection to the internet, not the WiFi network.

Mar 6, 2015 4:50 AM in response to tonefox

Actually, in this situation you are not really connected to your router or LAN. The ipad thinks that it will be participating in an "Ad hoc" conversation directly with another device not necessarily a LAN router. As such it will stil display the WiFi symbol. The 169 IP address is constructed with random components for this purpose. This occurs because the iPad did not receive an answer to the DHCP request it made for a LAN IP Address. In this state nothing that the iPad does will be properly processed by the router even though the router may be happily processing orher devices on the LAN network to/from the Internet.

i believe that the message in question comes up because after establishing a "connection" the iPad checks to see if it can access an Apple server on the Internet. This will fail resulting in the message.

We will have to wait for more from the OP to see if any of this speculation is relevant to the problem.

Mar 6, 2015 10:22 PM in response to JimHdk

Thanks Jim. I will have to check this out. Will have to wait a week, as I'll be traveling. But at least I got the iPad set up using the network at work. I suspect I have an unhappy router - it's 6 years or so old Netgear. Suspicious because about 3 months ago, my husband had the same issue with his phone. Says it's connected to our network, but gets no internet.

Router is Netgear WNDR3300 Range-max Duo Wireless-N. It is set on WPA2.

Mar 17, 2015 5:15 PM in response to tigris32

Hello Tigris32 - I just purchased a new iPad Mini and was having the same issue and stumbled upon this thread. I followed Jim's advice and reset my router (which was not assigning my iPad any IP address), but it was not working. I then 'forgot' the NETGEAR network on the iPad (can't remember if I long-clicked to forget or if I went into the settings and found the 'forget this network' option there). After resetting the router and then forgetting the network, I tried again and it worked fine. I don't understand the process behind the fix, but hopefully this will work for you. Best of luck!

Addison

wi-fi network you selected is not providing an internet connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.