Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes showing wrong number of photos on iPhone (eating up storage space)

I'm having trouble with my iPhone 5S. The amount of data taken up by photos is larger than it should be. Plugging it in to the Mac and in iTunes it says 2.85GB, 1359 photos. Even if I go to Manage Storage in the iPhone itself, it says over 2 GB of data. (Also wrong) When in reality, my phone has 105 photos in the camera roll and another 425 in a synced event.

Here are the things I've already tried.

- restarting the phone

- resyncing

- deleting all photos using iPhoto

- backing up and restoring

- restoring iPhone as a new device, then restoring the backup

A few months ago I tried using 3rd party software to dig around under the hood. I found a ton of pictures in folders that were not being shown in the camera roll or in iPhoto. I deleted them. That worked for a short time. But they came back somehow. (Not sure exactly when.)

No matter what, the amount of space taken up by these "phantom photos" stays.

iPhone 5S, 16 GB, running iOS 8.1.3. Syncing with iTunes 12.1.0.50.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 7:28 PM

In case anyone else finds this post with a similar problem.. I found a solution. (posted by a user named txforever)

Manually change the date back several months (or years if need be) and then go in to your Recently Deleted Photos folder. Don't be fooled by it telling you there are 0 photos. If you actually open it up, suddenly you will find all the old photos that should've been deleted but never were.

I emptied it and my problem is solved.

Hooray!

I feel like Apple should issue this as a known solution to this bug that a lot of people seem to be having. And also, they should fix the bug of course.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 7:28 PM in response to MChollar

In case anyone else finds this post with a similar problem.. I found a solution. (posted by a user named txforever)

Manually change the date back several months (or years if need be) and then go in to your Recently Deleted Photos folder. Don't be fooled by it telling you there are 0 photos. If you actually open it up, suddenly you will find all the old photos that should've been deleted but never were.

I emptied it and my problem is solved.

Hooray!

I feel like Apple should issue this as a known solution to this bug that a lot of people seem to be having. And also, they should fix the bug of course.

iTunes showing wrong number of photos on iPhone (eating up storage space)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.