Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

original files not found after hard drive back-up

I am switching computers from an old (2009) MacBook Pro to a newer (2011?) MacBook Air. I am hoping to take all of my music from iTunes on the Pro and put it on an external drive, and then play the music on my Air through that drive. I followed the instructions here for backing up to an external drive: http://ipod.about.com/od/restoreandreformatipod/ss/Backup-Itunes-To-External-Hd_ 4.htm#step-heading, and then followed the instructions here on how to play music off the drive on my new computer: http://ipod.about.com/od/advanceditunesuse/a/Itunes-External-Hard-Drive.htm. After following these directions, all of the files in my iTunes library show up with the "original files not found" exclamation point beside them. I tried going to Preferences and re-choosing where to route the Library from, but that didn't change anything. Is there a fix for this?? Becoming quite frustrated.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 8:52 PM

1 reply

Mar 8, 2015 6:38 AM in response to cronk13

Hi there cronk13,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

It sounds like you’re running into issues locating and playing music with iTunes on your MacBook Air after attempting to move the iTunes library to an external drive.

This article provides information about the exclamation point symbol that you're seeing and it gives tips that may help you locate the missing media.

iTunes: Finding lost media and downloads - Apple Support

If you aren’t able to locate the missing media and want to try moving the media to the external drive again, this article will walk you through the process of consolidating and moving the iTunes Media Folder.

iTunes for Mac: Moving your iTunes Media folder - Apple Support

Ciao,

-Jason

original files not found after hard drive back-up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.