Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Abort transfer app from iPad to iTunes

How to abort transfer app from iPad to iTunes when sync process? Every time when I sync my iPad Mini (iOS 8.1.3.) to iTunes (Mac OS, 12.0.1) every app is copied to iTunes media on my Mac. How avoid this unnecessary process?

iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:06 AM

3 replies

Mar 6, 2015 3:41 AM in response to Rparisen

You should keep a copy of your apps somewhere - if you have to restore your phone then an iTunes restore will look to pick them up from the Apps part of your library, an iCloud restore will only redownload what it can (e.g. apps that are still in the store and compatible with your iOS version). You could let them copy over to your Mac, take a backup copy of them, and them delete just their .ipa files from your Mac (so leave them listed in the Apps part of your library, but delete the files via finder)

Mar 6, 2015 10:16 AM in response to Rparisen

If you only delete the files from your Mac via Finder, but leave them listed in the Apps part of your iTunes library, then they will not be copied back from your iPad when you sync again (unless there is a newer version on it).

If you do have to restore to a backup at any point in the future then to restore to an iTunes backup you will need the apps on your computer (a backup does not contain the actual apps, just their content/settings), and you may not be able to redownload them from the store (e.g. if the developer has removed them). An iCloud backup also doesn't contain your apps, it will redownload what it can from the store.

Abort transfer app from iPad to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.