Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Java Issues

Earlier this afternoon, I attempted to run a site using the Java plugin only to have "Missing Plug In" pop up.

Naturally, I went to update my Java, as I had done in the past without any difficulty, only to have the installation process tell me that a newer version of Java exists on my Mac ("A newer version of Java is already installed. You are trying to install 1.8.40.25, however 14.9.0 is already installed. Visit java.com/newerversionexists for more information" – needless to say, that search yielded no assistance).

I have checked my System Preferences (later finding out that Java is no longer accessible from there), as well as my Safari preferences wherein I ensured that JavaScript is enabled in my browser, albeit the plugin is missing under my "Security >> Manage Website Settings..." panel.

I have searched for the JavaAppletPlugin.plugin file on my computer, only to yield no search results.

In short, I cannot update, install or uninstall Java on my Mac because apparently it exists when it, in fact, does not.

How do I remedy this (preferably in layman's terms) so that I can run the Java Applet on my browser again?

MacBook, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 11:10 PM

4 replies

Java Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.