Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible to use the WAN Internet IP to access with Time Machine?

Hi,

I have a Time Capsule 2TB with disabled Wireless.

I want to connect WAN Internet port to a local network and my MacBookPro is in another local network through a router.

I can manage my Time Capsule with my MBP because i have enabled manage through WAN port.

But in Time Machine i can't select Time Capsule as a hard drive.

How i can mount/configure my Time Capsule for do Time Machine through my local network/router and WAN port?

Thanks in advance,

Toni

Time Capsule 2TB 11ac-OTHER

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 3:13 AM

Is this connection over the internet??

If it is over the internet TM in the latest version might block backups over internet..

At the very least you need to mount the hard disk before you can use it.

So is the disk mounted in finder??

How are you intending to get remote access? You cannot backup over bonjour as you do the setup.. they are different.. to access the TC you need remote access..

See the details here.

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

You need to give a few more details..

What is the main modem and is it a router?

Is the TC setup bridged, main router or double NAT?

Doing TM backup over internet is not recommended.. although Apple themselves no longer say that in the documentation.. it used to be writ large.. I fear people attempting to do backups will within a matter of a few weeks or months corrupt the backup and simply be forced to restart.

However if you want to try it.. I am happy to work though getting it to work.. and just hope this is not your only backup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 3:13 AM in response to toni.perez

Is this connection over the internet??

If it is over the internet TM in the latest version might block backups over internet..

At the very least you need to mount the hard disk before you can use it.

So is the disk mounted in finder??

How are you intending to get remote access? You cannot backup over bonjour as you do the setup.. they are different.. to access the TC you need remote access..

See the details here.

AirPort Disk - Remote Access (3 Methods)

You need to give a few more details..

What is the main modem and is it a router?

Is the TC setup bridged, main router or double NAT?

Doing TM backup over internet is not recommended.. although Apple themselves no longer say that in the documentation.. it used to be writ large.. I fear people attempting to do backups will within a matter of a few weeks or months corrupt the backup and simply be forced to restart.

However if you want to try it.. I am happy to work though getting it to work.. and just hope this is not your only backup.

Is it possible to use the WAN Internet IP to access with Time Machine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.