Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With my MacBook Pro OSX Yosemite how can I stop the constant pop-ups asking for my login keychain password???

With OSX Yosemite and a MacBook Pro I am getting constant pop-ups asking for my login keychain password. Every time I start up I am getting 8-10 pop-ups for this or that app. This also happens when awakening the computer from sleep. Sometimes only one pop-up, sometimes a bunch. I've tried some remedies found in the community but none have worked.

Posted on Mar 5, 2015 9:53 PM

4 replies

Mar 12, 2015 6:50 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks but I'm not sure this will remedy it. The remedy is for login keychain access after changing the login PW. I don't recall changing my "login keychain" PW but have done so now. I went through a similar fix two weeks ago and all seemed fine for a few days but then it all started again. A lot of the pop-ups have wanted the "Local Items" keychain PW.

Mar 12, 2015 7:41 PM in response to AlbanySteve

In that case follow these instructions:

1. Boot OS X Recovery by restarting the computer while holding the ⌘ (Command) and R keys.

2. When the Mac OS X Utilities screen appears, select Utilities from the Menu Bar, then click Terminal.

3. In the Terminal window, type resetpassword and press Return.

4. The password reset utility window will appear.

• Do not select a new password.
  • Instead, click the icon for your Mac's hard disk at the top. From the dropdown below it, select the user account with the problem.

5. At the bottom of the window, you will see Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs. Click the Reset button.

The reset process may take a couple of minutes. When it finishes quit the programs and restart your Mac.

With my MacBook Pro OSX Yosemite how can I stop the constant pop-ups asking for my login keychain password???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.