Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive Browsing on iOS crashes

Hi all,

This is probably a question for Apple technical staff, but I already tried to get help there. So far, it didn't help.

The issue I have with iCloud Drive on iOS devices is as follows:

- When using any app that supports browsing the iCloud Drive directory structure, and I try to "drill down" into the folders, at some point the iCloud Drive browsing view disappears and resets itself, either exiting the app completely, or, most of the time, it drops back to the screen from where I started to open iCloud Drive

- This happens when I tap on a folder, but not always the same one, and not always at the same level in the directory tree.

- Sometimes (it feels like after a longer period of NOT using iCloud Drive in that way), everything seems to work OK and I can actually access the files I like to see. But most of the time, it crashes.

- It seems to happen with all apps that offer a "Browse iCloud Drive" option in the exact same way. So far I tried: GoodReader, Documents, Cloud Opener, Keynote, Pages, Numbers

- Opening documents in the standard, app-specific folders from their respective apps, works without problems.

- When I switched to iCloud drive, I copied a folder with many subfolders and documents to iCloud drive, but all together its size isn't even near the limit of my iCloud storage plan.

- I suspect some strange file format or hidden file to make the iCloud Browser component crash, but I have yet to find a way to get log or error messages from the iOS device

- On the Mac, everything works OK with the same folders and files on iCloud Drive

- Also on the Mac, I had a look into the iCoud-related log files. The only error message I saw was "Assertion failed: ![_xpcClients containsObject:client]" occurring sporadically, several times a day.

- I see this behavior on an iPhone 6 Plus with iOS 8.1.3 and an iPad Air 2 with iOS 8.1.3. The iPad was installed as a completely new device when iOS 8.1 came out, the iPhone was restored from a backup of my old iPhone 5, and then upgraded to iOS 8.1.3 whenever a new update appeared.

- When contacting Apple, they told me to reinstall the devices. However, this didn't help. First, I tried to restore from a backup, then to install a new, but the issue still exists.

Has anyone had similar issues with iCloud Drive? How to fix it?

Cheers.

M

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:51 AM

Hi procrastinator,

I'm experiencing similar issues with iCloud Drive on my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2. I have no idea to solve the issue, but I tell you one thing, I definitely won't restore my devices. Instead I'm just waiting for the release of iOS 8.2.

With kind regards,

David

4 replies

iCloud Drive Browsing on iOS crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.