Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-uniform tagging of music in iTunes Store

Hello,

The team in charge of publishing music to the iTunes Store need to tag files in a uniform way. There are too many different ways files are tagged.

The offending tags are generally the title tag, including featuring artists in this tag should not be done.

All versions should be included in [] to easier to define from an extended title

Title: Mental Health (Bang Your Head) [Album Version]

Artist: Quiet Riot

All tags should be in the format

Title: Heroes (We Could be)

Album: Heroes (We Could be) [Single]

Artist: Alesso feat. Tove Lo

Album Artist: Alesso feat. Tove Lo

or

Title: Outside

Album: Motion

Artist: Avicii feat. Ellie Goulding

Album Artist: Avicii

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:17 AM

3 replies

Mar 6, 2015 1:42 AM in response to DJ Dizzle

There isn't one team responsible for setting up the metadata, or any agreed standard on the best way to do things. There are many different companies that submit content to the iTunes Store, and when it comes to ripping your own CDs iTunes picks up track information from the Gracenodes CDDB database, much of which has been entered by different individuals with no attempt at a uniform style. The best you can do is develop your own scheme and tweak everything that you add to your library as you import it. Like you I put anything descriptive in square brackets. Because I still have older iPods which don't support album artist I put guest/featured artist information into the track title, again in square brackets, so artist can remain consistent across the whole album. And I Put Everything In Title Case.

See Grouping Tracks Into Albums for some background on iTunes tagging quirks.

tt2

Non-uniform tagging of music in iTunes Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.