Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get specific files back from my Time Machine backup?

I wanted to make a fresh install on my MacBook Pro, in order to only have Java 8 instead of any older Java versions. So far so good. But now I want to get specific files/libraries from my external backup (USB):

• One Parallels Virtual Machine
  • My old mail
  • My iPhoto Library

I don't need any settings for these, since I can easily configure them again.

I already used the Migration Assistent to restore all apps.

How can I get specific data back from the backup without restoring all stuff that I don't want anymore?

I'm now working on a new account on the fresh system, called 'Admin'. My old account was called 'Hans' (or 'hans') and I'd like to create such an account again for all my tasks.

Hans

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 6:02 AM

How can I get specific data back from the backup without restoring all stuff that I don't want anymore?

I'm now working on a new account on the fresh system, called 'Admin'. My old account was called 'Hans' (or 'hans') and I'd like to create such an account again for all my tasks.

You will want to add the same User account(s) which hold the data you want to restore. So you will want to add a User account of 'Hans or hans'. Check your Time Machine back up drive to see how the User account is labeled (Hans or hans). Navigate to the Users folder and see how it's labeled.

You can then use your Time Machine back up drive and navigate to the User Home folder to copy its data over (e.g. contents from Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc.). Repeat for other Users.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 6:02 AM in response to Hans Elting

You will want to add the same User account(s) which hold the data you want to restore. So you will want to add a User account of 'Hans or hans'. Check your Time Machine back up drive to see how the User account is labeled (Hans or hans). Navigate to the Users folder and see how it's labeled.

You can then use your Time Machine back up drive and navigate to the User Home folder to copy its data over (e.g. contents from Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, etc.). Repeat for other Users.

How can I get specific files back from my Time Machine backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.