Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie doesn't allow standard video

I Can add standard video to iMovie but it changes to widescreen I.e. I input 4:3 and it comes out as 16:9 anyone got an answer to this?

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 6

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 1:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:14 AM

I'm not familiar with the iPad version but iMovie 10 (the latest) on a Mac only works in 16:9 aspect ratio so with 4:3 media you have the choice between cropping and loosing a bit of the top and bottom of your clips or fitting, leaving black bars either side. (iMovie 9 and Final Cut Pro on a Mac don't have this limitation).

Geoff.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 8:14 AM in response to petey218

I'm not familiar with the iPad version but iMovie 10 (the latest) on a Mac only works in 16:9 aspect ratio so with 4:3 media you have the choice between cropping and loosing a bit of the top and bottom of your clips or fitting, leaving black bars either side. (iMovie 9 and Final Cut Pro on a Mac don't have this limitation).

Geoff.

Mar 6, 2015 9:50 AM in response to GeeD

Thank you Geoff I'm using iMac desktop Version 10,0,6 It is irritating since I have a lot of SVHS tapes to edit. The trouble with cropping is you lose the top of heads. However, I am puzzled because I have done four tapes using iMovie and they are OK suddenly the fifth one came out with black bars all round and currently it has black bars top & bottom in widescreen. So how did this happen? It suggests to me that I triggered something and consequently can't stop searching. If I find way I will let you know.

Thanks again

Peter

Mar 6, 2015 11:42 AM in response to petey218

I don't know why a 4:3 clip would end up with black bars all around. However you can remove the top and bottom borders by manually cropping with the Style: Crop to Fill tool then manipulating the white corners in the viewer.

It is possible to change the aspect ratio after sharing the iMovie in 16:9 with black sidebars using the free MPEG Streamclip application at: http://www.squared5.com/

see "Frame Size" in the application's user's guide. The re-rendering may take quite some time.

Geoff.

PS I thought you were using an iPad since your profile only shows this

iMovie doesn't allow standard video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.