Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My mail app quits a few seconds after launching. I get a blank screen and then it goes back to the starter screen

THe mail app on my ipad 2 quits right after launching. This happened as I was forwarding an email with a long attachment. Now I get a blank screen with just the icons, no mail mailboxes etc. after a few seconds that blank screen disappears and we go back to the starter screen. I tried rebooting, relaunching but no luck so far. Can somebody help me? Thanks

Hans V

iPad 2, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:12 AM

Several folks are having similar issues. It appears that the default mail app is having problems with the formatting of certain emails & those with large attachments. This only started recently with me after updating to iOS8.1.3. Have you tried deleting the offending email by accessing it through another mail app or by logging into the email using Safari? My email was crashing when viewing certain emails with attachments. As soon as it crashed, I double tapped the home button, swiped up the dark translucent window (crashed email) then reopened email. It then allowed me to get back in & delete the offending email(s) causing the problem.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 4:12 AM in response to volwerk

Several folks are having similar issues. It appears that the default mail app is having problems with the formatting of certain emails & those with large attachments. This only started recently with me after updating to iOS8.1.3. Have you tried deleting the offending email by accessing it through another mail app or by logging into the email using Safari? My email was crashing when viewing certain emails with attachments. As soon as it crashed, I double tapped the home button, swiped up the dark translucent window (crashed email) then reopened email. It then allowed me to get back in & delete the offending email(s) causing the problem.

Mar 6, 2015 5:48 AM in response to jazcan

Jazcan, thanks for the helpful suggestions. I am able to access my email through Safari and I will get rid of the suspect email as soon as i have a hardcopy of the problem attachment printed. Force closing the mail app as you suggest has not worked. When I Relaunch the same thing happens. I went to an apple store and all they could suggest was to do a complete reset Which I am leary to do as I am away from home and don't have my laptop available. Any other ideas of how I could get the mail app to work again? Thanks.

Mar 6, 2015 6:02 AM in response to volwerk

Have you tried removing the email account from the app through settings? I would try removing it, rebooting, opening the email app to see if it still crashes, & then adding it back your email account.

If you're leary about causing more issues while you're not home, you could always try using a third party mail app (there are many), accessing your email through it...not a fix for your problem but a way to deal with the situation until you can get it worked out.

Resetting all settings on the iPad (not deleting content) is a good way to clear many errors as it can remove leftover cache files & files that have become corrupt.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Good luck & let us know if you get it working.

My mail app quits a few seconds after launching. I get a blank screen and then it goes back to the starter screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.