Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two of the phones, an Iphone 5 and Iphone 6, have been been locked to Icloud

I have recently purchased a bundle of iphones at a police auction. Two of the phones, an Iphone 5 and Iphone 6, have been been locked to Icloud and require passwords from the previous owners, however I cannot contact them as more than likely they are from illegal activity. How do I get around this problem, I have all the documents of purchasing but none from previous owners. The only thing I do have is one of the previous owners phone numbers which is now disconnected.

<Re-Titled By Host>

iPhone 6, iOS 8, null

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 12:01 AM

8 replies

Mar 6, 2015 12:31 AM in response to albyg360

No, Apple cannot unlock it. They will only unlock a device under extenuating circumstances (like a death), and even in that situation, they would require a death certificate. The only other exception that Apple will make is if the person can prove that they are the original owner by presenting receipts for the purchase from Apple or an AASP.

The whole purpose of the Activation Lock is to prevent stolen phones from being used. Apple is not going to bypass that protection.

Sorry,

GB

Mar 7, 2015 4:42 PM in response to gail from maine

I also bought an iPhone 5s from a police auction with icloud lock, it also had a phone number to call if you found it...I called the number which was in Indonesia and spoke to a woman who confirmed that her husband was from the UK and she would get him to call me..He never did...These are the steps I have taken to try and get the phone removed from icloud lock..

1.Talked to the police....They confirmed that I now owned the phone.

2.Talked to my solicitor...who confirmed that I now owned the phone.

3.Rang apple ..Very nice on phone..Told me to go to apple store with paperwork.

4..Went to apple store with paperwork...No interest.. just told me to ring apple support.

5..Rang apple support..put through to the security team..Very nice man told me this was very unusual but could do nothing for me.

So after all that I have a iPhone which I legally own but can not use...

Icloud lock is a very good idea if you have your phone stolen....But because of apples policies it is also a great for criminals to stop there phones benefiting anyone else after there they have been caught.

Are the Police cheating the public by selling phones that cant be used?....I think so.

Are apple helping protect criminal assets?....probably not, but they are stopping it being used.

Mar 7, 2015 6:10 PM in response to Ethan7988

Ethan7988 wrote:

I read in another similar thread that Apple will only remove the lock if you have proof that it is yours.

But that proof must be in the forum of "provenance," which is like a real estate title search or to prove ownership of fine arts. Meaning a clear trail from the original purchaser, to any intermediate purchasers, and to the last purchaser. The fact that you bought it from a legitimate business is not sufficient; you must also prove that the business you bought it from also bought it legitimately, recursively back to the original owner. That is not possible in the case described here. The police should not have sold it, as it can never be used.

Two of the phones, an Iphone 5 and Iphone 6, have been been locked to Icloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.