Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

From Aperture (external HD) to Photos

As some of you, I'm very disappointing for this new release of Photos for Yosemite... This is a big slap for all professional apple users...

However, my problem is: my aperture library (250 gb) is stored into an external HD and i run aperture from it. Now i realized that with Photos all the photos are going to be saved into iCloud. Obviously i need much more space in iCloud, paying....

My question is: can i use Photos from an external HD where my aperture library is saved?

I have a macbook pro retina with 256 GB... For me It's quite impossible to move the library into the mac hard-drive!

I hope you got my problem...

Thank you!

Andrea from Italy

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012), Mac OS X 10.10.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 3:35 AM

4 replies

Mar 7, 2015 11:27 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Can anyone tell how photos are stored in the new Photos?

I moved from iPhoto to Aperture because I wanted to organise my original photos in my own way on external HDs.

With iPhoto the program added them in a (to me) strange folder system and I could not figure out how to find my photos from outside the application.

Two questions:

What will happen if I go from Aperture to the new Photos. Will I still be able to decide where to store my originals?

And will the new Photos, like the old iPhotos, create a duplicate every time I make an adjustment to a photo?

Anyone?

Mar 7, 2015 11:40 AM in response to Zackrisson

Will I still be able to decide where to store my originals?

Photos can manage referenced original image files the same way as iPhoto did. When you import files, you can opt to leave them in their current location and reference them there. But apparently Photos has no way (yet) to relocate or consolidate referenced files. I would not risk a referenced library with photos currently.

From Aperture (external HD) to Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.