Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 5th gen. and iPhone 4 will not connect to home Wifi. No issues anywhere else, just at home. iPhone 6 had the same problem, but was able to correct with network reset. Tried absolutley everything the boards say and nothing works. Help.

Brand new iPod 5 and periodically will pick up our home Wifi, but when it loses it, it's impossible to reset. Says "incorrect password" and it is the correct password. No issue at all with Android devices or anything else on Wifi. Only the iPod and an iPhone 4. My iPhone 6 had the same issue, but I was able to correct it by resetting the network. This "fix" doesn't work on the iPod or old iPhone. Just keeps saying "incorrect password" no matter what you do. Connection has been reset, passwords have been changed... Nothing fixes it. And both are operating on the latest iOS update. I just updated it. Still doesn't work. How crazy.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 6:19 AM

25 replies

Mar 6, 2015 7:30 AM in response to xyxxxxxx

Does the iOS device connect to other networks? If yes that tends to indicate a problem with your network. Yes

Does the iOS device see the network?

Any error messages?

Do other devices now connect?

Did the iOS device connect before? no

Try the following to rule out a software problem: (Not clear what you did)

- Reset the iOS device. Nothing will be lost

Reset iOS device: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Power off and then back on your router

.- Reset network settings: Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

- iOS: Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

- Wi-Fi: Unable to connect to an 802.11n Wi-Fi network

- iOS: Recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points

- Restore from backup. See:

iOS: How to back up

- Restore to factory settings/new iOS device.

If still problem and it does not connect to any networks make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store since it appears you have a hardware problem. Since it connects to other networks that indicates a problem with your network

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Mar 6, 2015 9:11 AM in response to lllaass

No. It's not a problem with the network. My iPhone 6 is connected. All the Android devices are connected, the Roku is connected, the PS4 is connected, my son's Nintendo DS... All connected to our network with no issues. Only the iPod and the old iPhone. And both devices HAVE previously been on this wifi. They lost the connections for unknown reasons and cannot get them back. The iPod was just connected to it yesterday. Now it just keeps saying "incorrect password" when you connect and put it in password. It's not the wrong password. The router has been turned on and off several times. Thanks for your response though.

Apr 15, 2015 4:58 PM in response to xyxxxxxx

I Just had the same situation happen where right after I did an OS upgrade (8.3) suddenly the ipod touch refused to connect to the network and instead kept insisting the password was incorrect. The router is not the issue as 6 other apple devices can connect just fine. I also forgot the network and tried manually entering the network in the ipod but nothing worked. I may try adding another router to see if the specs on the router is causing a conflict with security settings in the OS. Very frustrating to say the least, Apple needs to solve this pronto!

Apr 16, 2015 5:36 AM in response to MTL4runner

I brought my son's iPod to work with me and I can confirm that it gives the same error "incorrect password for XXXXX" when you attempt to connect to wifi (I'm positive the password is correct). So to me this absolutely confirms that there is a serious issue with the new OS8 that should be fixed by Apple.......this is totally unacceptable because the iPod worked great for years and then all of a sudden it won`t connect to wifi now?! It basically renders the device useless since most apps/games now require connection to internet to even function.

Any guru's want to take a stab at how to fix this?

I may next need to try and roll back the OS (already tried a restore so don't suggest that) but certainly open to try other things as well.

Apr 16, 2015 10:17 AM in response to lllaass

Router isn't the issue, tried 2 totally different routers so I think we can rule my networking equipment out completely (ie issue is with the ipod).

Yes, I have tried restoring the ipod too as well as resetting all the settings on the ipod and manually entering the info for the network. Both didn't change anything and still get the error.

Any other things to try?

May end up with 2 choices, 1) roll back OS or 2) wait for the next OS rev and hope for the best......not alot of faith at this point.

Apr 18, 2015 12:14 PM in response to MTL4runner

Another bit of a twist.....

I did try rolling back the iPod to 8.2 (from 8.3) which doesn't appear to go against Apple since iTunes did verify it after download. Anyway the rollback didn't fix the issue so either this thing has a virus or a hardware problem. Now the strangest part is that the ipod will actually connect just fine to the router when it is close (ie within 3ft or so) but once outside this zone it won't connect and gives the incorrect password error. Also before anyone assumes it's the antenna, the ipod can find the network anywhere in the house and has at least 2 bars at all times but again it will not allow connection to the network for some odd reason.

Any other suggestions for fixes?

May 1, 2015 4:39 PM in response to Christineva

This is so incredible. This very same thing happened to me... "incorrect password" to dozens of wifi routers while traveling in Mexico this past winter and now at my home in the US. And ALL the problems started within seconds of completing the 8.3 update. Now? I either drive to Best Buy and spend (another) $200 on a new router... or I accept that all I have in my hand is one more pointless music storage drive, when I have maybe 6 others all NON Apple working wonderfully.

So, if i choose option "B", I end up ignoring all the music money I've pored into iTunes over the decades.. and completely turn away in favor of other superior products?

And one of the more interesting tid-bits is the Genius Bar over at the Apple Store have never heard of this problem. Can't there be something unique about the iPods in the above posts?

For example: My iPod has had a replacement OEM digitizer/touch screen installed to repair a cracked screen last year. (After which I've had many months of flawless wifi performance) How about yours?

May 2, 2015 5:29 AM in response to Kip Wylie

MAYBE THIS IS ALL ABOUT PASSWORDS AND NOTHING ELSE?

OK, So I tried the "solution" above of placing the iPod within about 3 feet of the router. Bingo! iPod accepts the router password and surfs the www. VERY VERY slowly. Now, it starts asking for my iCloud password, I enter it correctly... rejected. I go to my PC and double check the password... all is good. iPod asks for my iTunes password...rejected. I go on the PC and through the Apple process to change my password, all is still good with new password & PC. Try new password on iPod... rejected. All this with the iPod sitting 3 feet from the wifi router.

Me thinks there something rotten.

Related: Does Apple require a different password for all three: iTunes, iCloud, Apple Help Communities?

May 2, 2015 6:40 AM in response to Kip Wylie

That sounds like either an iPod problem or a problem with your router.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

Related: Does Apple require a different password for all three: iTunes, iCloud, Apple Help Communities?

If you are using the same ID you have the same password. However, you can use different ID for those three services and thus you can have different passwords.

May 4, 2015 6:46 AM in response to lllaass

I'm absolutely positive this is not an issue with either the hardware (iPod damage, router, etc) or the network configuration. The fact that it works right before the OS upgrade, redoing all settings in the OS changes nothing, multiple other apple devices all work properly on the router network and even going to other locations with WiFi spots the problem can still be duplicated suggests that the issue is with the OS update. I have 7 Apple devices on in my house and having done alot of testing on this issue I can say that my suspicions are confirmed, see below.

The actual issue is likely with AWDL (Apple’s Wireless Direct Link): At any one time, the WiFi chip can only communicate at one frequency. Thus, both interfaces would need to be on the same channel when attempting to use both interfaces at the same time. This typically works well when 2 devices are near each other, as they are more than likely connected to the same access point using the same channel.

So the basic idea is that it likely demands too much of the WiFi hardware (transmitting on 2 channels at the same time) on the iPod to the point where it only works at close range with the router. Apple can certainly fix this problem if they wanted to by modifying the OS in the next rev (8.4 maybe?) but having lost the ability to roll back OS to a version that works there's not much else you can do except get another device and/or wait for the fix to come out.

May 7, 2015 9:41 PM in response to MTL4runner

Ugh..I have the same problem. My Ipod 5th Gen won't connect to internet at home but as soon as I go to Apple store it connects. I'm using ATT network. My ipod won't connect on neighbor's internet either and they also have ATT. So now what? I've tried everything. My Computer and ipod 4th gen are both working on the internet connection right now. I don't get why it keeps saying wrong password. It won't even connect if I'm 3 inches away from router. I'm so bummed. I download music all the time and really love my ipod. So I guess I'll be calling Apple tomorrow to get a new one. Mine's only 6 months old. It was working fine Tuesday and then wed. morning it wouldn't connect. I will never buy another apple product again if they don't fix this problem. I spend a good amount of money buying songs from itunes. I guess I'll just have to start downloading from amazon. heavy sigh. 😟

iPod touch 5th gen. and iPhone 4 will not connect to home Wifi. No issues anywhere else, just at home. iPhone 6 had the same problem, but was able to correct with network reset. Tried absolutley everything the boards say and nothing works. Help.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.