Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ending use of iCloud--ending the confusion

iCloud has created a lot of confusion in my life---is it on on this device, are the spreadsheets on the device or the cloud, why can't I get rid of these photos I have deleted them time and time again, etc. ect.

The learning curve is just longer than I want to spend to figure out how to use it. All of the features may be cool but too many people at Apple are changing products . It seems every day I have upgrade an application or change my password or something.

I think I want to just quit using iCloud. Is there a way I can keep my email address I have used for years? I started with a .me address. Can a use a forward somehow and just forward my email that was going to .mac to a new address for a while and then cut the cord completely with iCloud?

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 7:27 AM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2015 7:36 AM in response to mmassey1

Hello mmassey1,

Of course, you could forward emails addressed to your @mac.com/@me.com/@icloud.com email address by changing the preferences for iCloud Mail at www.icloud.com.

If you don't want use some of iCloud services or even all the services together, then just go to the settings/system preferences on your devices, then iCloud and sign out. I personally believe, that you can benefit from using iCloud, but it's entirely up to you.

With kind regards,

David

Mar 6, 2015 8:47 AM in response to david.menzel

It probably is some benefit somewhere but yesterday I was at a customer's office with no internet connection and was looking for the numbers spreadsheet I had made for the meeting and it had auto saved to the cloud and was not on my machine.

There seems to be just too many things to have to remember--set numbers to save to the computer and the cloud, make sure you are not using iTunes and the cloud to back up the iPad, up grade keynote on this machine because you forgot too, move the setting to this, buy more storage (which it seems to be what this all truly about), change your photo stream settings to this and on and on.

I just want to work.

Mar 6, 2015 9:12 AM in response to david.menzel

Thanks. I do like the contacts and calendar sync.

I think I will quit using Photo to store may pictures and only move pictures there that I may use in a presentation or something.

I may after years of using iWorks simply move back to office. I don't like many of the changes to numbers. It's just not as intuitive to use as it was once. It's always trying to auto fill something or use the wrong cells to sum if you autosum ect.

I moved my entire company to Mac years ago because it was easy to use. Not so any more as they come with these bells and whistles to sell more subscription services. We probably own 25 devices in our name or the company's name. Nobody is ever up on all the products. Too many changes too quickly and too many of the changes are not worth much. iMessage is a great example---can't use it unless the other guy has a iPhone. How does one know that??

Ending use of iCloud--ending the confusion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.