Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced to ditch my Radeon card cos I can't find the driver?

I just started using After Effects, and kept on getting a nag-screen to updsate my CUDA driver. Thinking that it may help performance, I eventually gave in and installed the thing. Turns out it's an NVidia tool, and ever since After Effects tells me my video card just isn't capable and I can no longer use the 3D rendering.

I thought I'd simply find the correct Radeon HD5870 driver for OSX and re-install, but it seems like AMD don't list Mac drivers. Do I really have to ditch the card and go buy a NVidia one? It seems that I don't have much choice....

This *****. Can anyone help?

David

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro5,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Processor Speed: 3.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5870

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

Slot: Slot-1

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 1024 MB

Vendor: ATI (0x1002)

Device ID: 0x6898

Revision ID: 0x0000

ROM Revision: 113-C0780C-194

EFI Driver Version: 01.00.436

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 4:28 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2015 6:21 AM in response to DavidMFranks

you have a Nvidia GTX or Quadro in the past?

There is no CUDA with AMD/ATI gpu.

Uninstall Nvidia control panel and anything else you installed.

When in doubt, do a clean install on a new system, new drive.

You could run Etrecheck to see what it identifies is in your system.

People with Nvidia control panel have in the past had trouble with installing the control panel.

Graphic drivers are in OS X. Sometimes people re-run the current/last combo update.

Nvidia does for their own cards have one. Wish all graphic cards under all versions of OS X actually had standalone GPU installer.

Nvidia Graphics Driver Update (343.02.02f02) for OS X 10.10.2

Nvidia OS X CUDA Updates 6.5.46 and 6.5.45

Mar 6, 2015 8:33 AM in response to The hatter

Thanks for the reply, Hatter.

Nope, I've never had a Nvidia card of any sort in the past.

The Mac shipped with the Radeon HD5870. If I hadn't been tired of the nagging in After Effects I'd never have changed anything, the Radeon worked just fine. I just figured the CUDA thing was an updated driver for the Radeon and installed. My bad. I've now uninstalled everything Nvidia and CUDA, used CleanMyMac for any debris left over - but it looks like a one-way process and there's no way back for me. The Radeon is still crippled in AE, even after a restart. Looks like I have to shell out my heard-earned for a new graphics card - not happy!

Forced to ditch my Radeon card cos I can't find the driver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.