Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add location in Photos app

Hi,

in iPhoto app I was able to add location to photos, where it wasn't (made by camera or old pictures). Is there a way of how to add a location to picture in the new Photos app?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2008), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:45 AM

Photos is still in Beta, perhaps this option will be added. So far, there is no mention of this option Apple's information about Photos.

Apple - OS X - Photos Preview

Send feedback with a feature request to Apple. Right now is the best time to ask for features, since the app is still under development.

8 replies

Mar 6, 2015 9:03 AM in response to jakudo

I've always used external editors to write GPS to the original image files before I imported them to Aperture or iPhoto. I prefer to have the GPS directly in the EXIF data of the original photo. You could add Places to your Photos in iPhoto and only then import them to Photos, until Photos will have more advanced features. iPhoto will remain available during the life cycle of Yosemite at least.

Mar 6, 2015 10:21 AM in response to jakudo

I like JetPhoto Studio. That makes it very easy to read the GPS tracks from my Garmin or AMOD tracker and set the GPS coordinates for all photos from a card at once and write them to RAW files. It is also easy to define new waypoints and write GPS based on a Map . Other than with Aperture or iPhoto I can also add the altitude data and the direction the camera has been pointing.

It can also do reverse geocoding look up the address for a given GPS coordinate and write this to the captions or keywords.

And create lovely maps with photos and tracks.

Can I add location in Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.