Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy text messages from my iPad to my iPhone

OK, it's my fault. I restored an old profile to my iPhone and 'lost' a lot of important messages. Thankfully they are still on my iPad. Is it possible to copy them from my iPad to my iPhone. Thanks

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 8:38 AM

You could manually copy and paste the messages into Notes or a word processing app which is ridiculously cumbersome, but it would work. You cannot copy them into the messages app itself. The only other thing that you could do is restore the iPhone from an iTunes iPad backup that contains the messages.

I Am not clear on whether iCloud backs up text messages. See if you can make the determination here.

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

I Know that ITunes backups contain the messages as stated here.

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 6, 2015 8:38 AM in response to Bill Simpson

You could manually copy and paste the messages into Notes or a word processing app which is ridiculously cumbersome, but it would work. You cannot copy them into the messages app itself. The only other thing that you could do is restore the iPhone from an iTunes iPad backup that contains the messages.

I Am not clear on whether iCloud backs up text messages. See if you can make the determination here.

Should I use iTunes or iCloud to back up my iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch? - Apple Support

I Know that ITunes backups contain the messages as stated here.

Create and delete iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch backups in iTunes - Apple Support

How can I copy text messages from my iPad to my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.