Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does the old apple express work with Yosemite and Arpt Extreme

I have Airport Extreme set up and am trying to connect Apple Express (1st generation) to it so I can listen to music using Airplay.

The connection fails, Airport Utility does not see the Apple Express and the yellow light keeps on blinking on the Express. Please help. Thanks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9.3)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 6:19 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2015 6:30 AM in response to pical

A 1st Gen version of the AirPort Express will work with the Mavericks operating system that you are using, so the first troubleshooting step might be to double check and make sure that you really do have the 1st Gen version of the Express.

Please look on the side of the Express to locate the model number. It can be hard to see.....gray lettering on a white background, so you may need good lighting and reading glasses or a magnifying glass the see the model number clearly. The model number starts with an "A" followed by four numbers.

A 1st Gen version of the AirPort Express is model A1264.

If you see A1084 or A1088, these are much older (8+ years) versions of the Express that were available before Apple began to use the Generation naming in 2008.....and they are not supported by the Mavericks operating system that you have. They can still be used, but you will need to use.....or borrow for 10-15 minutes..... a Mac running an older operating system like Leopard or Snow Leopard, or a PC to set up the Express.

Mar 6, 2015 2:38 PM in response to pical

The answer would apply to either Yosemite (in your message heading) or Mavericks (in your tagline).

It sounds like you may not have reset the AirPort Express so that it can be reconfigured to work with the AirPort Extreme.

If that might be the case, power up the AirPort Express for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the side of the Express for 8-10 seconds and release

Allow a full minute for the Express to restart to a slow, blinking amber light

User uploaded file

Then click the WiFi icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Look for a listing of New AirPort Base Station

Click on AirPort Express just below that

User uploaded file

That will get the setup "wizard" running to walk you through. Follow the prompts and you should be done in a minute or two

User uploaded file

Mar 6, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I can't believe this. IT WORKS! I thought I had tried everything after following dozens of advice on this forum and elsewhere, but your clear and simple directions did it. I hope your directions get around because many people out there have the same problem I had. You made my day Bob. A million thanks. Pierre

Does the old apple express work with Yosemite and Arpt Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.