Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't add rows to existing spreadsheet Numbers OS X Yosemite

I created a numbers spreadsheet with column filters and also popup menus for some columns I am trying to add additional rows to the spreadsheet I followed instructions from numbers:

• Add or delete a row or column at the edge of the table: Click User uploaded file at the bottom or User uploaded file at the top of the table. (Drag the control to add or delete more than one row or column.) You can delete a row or column only if all of its cells are empty.
  • Insert or delete a row or column within the table: Click the table, move the pointer over a numbered or a lettered bar, click the arrow, then choose a command from the menu that appears.

but the options to add rows are shaded gray so you can't add rows but can add columns. the II for add columns is active but there is a double circle where the = should be at the top of the table.

I am a 20 year windows and excel user but am new to Apple and numbers

iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 9:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:41 AM

Just guessing, but have you turned off the filters before trying to add rows? You can uncheck the box shown here:

User uploaded file

After clicking the table, you can find this in the Filter panel at the right after choosing Sort & Filter from the toolbar.

SG

10 replies

Apr 12, 2016 5:18 PM in response to enb14

Here is a real answer. None of us here know. You can give feedback to Apple via Numbers > Provide Numbers Feedback in your menu. You could explain why in your workflow having to turn off a filter with a click is onerous when adding new rows. Or maybe argue that a warning would be nice.

BTW, I think your memory about previous versions of Numbers may be a bit hazy regarding adding rows when a table is filtered via the Reorganize panel. I just tried it and 'Add Row Above' and 'Add Row Below' are grayed out when a filter is active.

SG

Apr 12, 2016 5:57 PM in response to enb14

enb14 wrote:

With 20 years' experience in interface design, I don't feel the need to explain why it's onerous. It just is.

Speaking as just a somewhat picky user, not a design professional:

I'd be a little taken aback if I were allowed to add a row while a filter was active and entered a value in a column that triggered the filter and made the whole row disappear before I could fill out the values in the other columns for that row.

And I'd also be occasionally frustrated if the designers had taken another tack (as in Excel) and I were allowed to add new rows while the filter was active without triggering the filter so I could enter values in other columns, but then I had to turn the filter off and back on again before it applied to the newly entered row(s).

I don't think there is an ideal solution here, but maybe you have a better idea, and can advise Apple. Give feedback a try. It's only a click or two to give them a suggestion.

SG

Apr 12, 2016 9:30 PM in response to enb14

" I don't recall having encountered this problem in Numbers in the past."

Short term memory must be failing then. Checked in Numbers '09. Behaviour is the same. With the table filtered, both Add Row above an Add Row below are greyed in the pop-up menus available in the row reference tabs.

Regards,

Barry

can't add rows to existing spreadsheet Numbers OS X Yosemite

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.