Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine--Browse Other Disks not functioning

Hi, i'm having trouble using the "browse other backup disks" function in Time Machine. I am able to see all other backup disks (there are 4 in total in my case) from my external hard drive, and i can select any of the disks, but no matter which one i select Time Machine opens and displays backups for my current computer, not the backup disk i selected. I've tried this on my MBP retina and MB Air, same problem. My external HD is WD My Passport Ultra and formatted in OS Extended (Journaled). I'd like to restore some files from my old computers to my new one. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 10:19 AM

6 replies

Mar 6, 2015 1:17 PM in response to Bob Timmons

They were all on different Macs and wanting to put some of my old files onto my new Mac, but not everything so didn't want to restore completely from a previous backup. How do I go about accessing backups from different computers if Time Machine won't let me? What would be the function of "browse other backup disks" if it didn't let you access them? Thanks in advance!

Mar 6, 2015 1:34 PM in response to surftodd1

How do I go about accessing backups from different computers if Time Machine won't let me?

Apple would suggest that you use Migration Assistant. It's located on your Mac in Applications > Utilities > Migration Assistant

User uploaded file

There is another way to access files from other Macs, which is probably NOT supported, so no guarantees on this procedure......which works for me....but I cannot say if it will work for you.

Connect the external drive with the backups to your Mac

Open the drive when it appears on the desktop

There is a folder named Backups.backupdb for each Mac that was backing up

Select the one that you want and open it up

Double click on the name of drive

A list of folders with backup dates will appear.....select the one that you want and open it

Open Macintosh HD

Open Users

Open the User Name folder

Select the folder that you want to open

Mar 6, 2015 2:43 PM in response to surftodd1

What would be the function of "browse other backup disks"

Remember that Time Machine will normally only allow you view backups that have been made on the same computer.

Say, you had some older backups that were made using Leopard or Snow Leopard. Then, you upgraded to a new operating system. In that case, Time Machine will start a new master backup all over again and then move forward with new backups. The "old" backups would be available in "Browse Other Disks" and you would be able to see them since they were made on the same Mac.

Mar 11, 2015 2:43 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks, Bob! The migration assistant did the trick. Although it didn't offer the ability to pull over individual files (choices were applications, desktop, other, etc.) I was able to get what i needed from each of my backups made on different computers.

I had tried going through the individual files through the backups/user/ method, but most files were locked and I could only unlock them with varying degrees of success. Also all the picture files were stored as a iPhoto library rather than individual files which was a bit annoying.

At the end of the day, was able to get through to all my backups, so again, thanks very much!

Time Machine--Browse Other Disks not functioning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.