Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do i get my music back if i unsubscribe?

Does Match remove music from my computer if it finds equivalents in the cloud? If I unsubscribe, how do I get my music back?

Second related question: If Match uploads music from my computer that it doesn't find in the cloud, and if, after a year, I don't resubscribe, how do I get that music back?

If music, whether matched by music equivalents in the cloud or uploaded from my mac to the cloud, is only in the cloud, then how do I listen to my music if I am not connected to the net?

If the music remains on my computer, what is the point of the cloud? So that other people and other devices can access it?

Sorry to be dense.

Alarik

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 11:39 AM

2 replies

Mar 6, 2015 11:38 PM in response to aws5

Hi,

1. Itunes match only scans the music that is already on your computer to determine if the tracks can been matched or needs to be uploaded. It does not move or change your existing library. Read this FAQ: Why iTunes Match Can Not Be Used as a Backup
  2. it should still be on your computer unless to opted to delete the original from your computer. If the music is only in the cloud, you would need to download before you cancel your subscription.
  3. You can't.
  4. itunes match allows you to upgrade lower bit rate songs to 256 kbps and remove DRM from previous iTunes purchases. It also allows you access via the cloud on other devices. Only you can decide whether match is for you or not.

iTunes Match User Tips (Dec 2017)

Jim

Mar 7, 2015 1:00 PM in response to aws5

Jim,

Thanks for your patience.

I'm pursuing this because I want to remove the DRM from the "protected AAC audio files" that I purchased a long time ago.

I have seen on the web two or three methods. First try exporting them to a CD and then reimport--see if the DRM is gone. Sounds unlikely. Second, use program to "strip" the DRM--but that program appears to have vanished (from SourceForge), and, besides, it sounds a bit dodgy. And third, to sign up for Match so as to download DRM-free versions of the files. For which I will pay $25 for a service that seems of little use to me otherwise.

I'll try the CD experiment now.

Thank you!

Alarik

How do i get my music back if i unsubscribe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.