Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need help, my mom downloaded mackeeper by accident and as a result has lost her dock and Finder. When I lost out all open applications, the screen is blue without a menu bar. The mackeeper icon has replaced time, battery, ect. in the right corner.

I need help, my mom downloaded mackeeper by accident and as a result has lost her dock and Finder. The mackeeper icon has replaced time, battery, ect. in the right corner.When I close out all open applications, the screen is blue without a menu bar. I'm trying to uninstall it, but I can't find her trash, and can't open up her application folder. Does any one have an idea of what to do?

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 9:30 AM

4 replies

Mar 6, 2015 9:34 AM in response to sandcasiles

See the quote below from http://www.thesafemac.com/ongoing-mackeeper-fraud/

If you are suffering from MacKeeper ads or redirects popping up on sites where they should not appear, my AdwareMedic app should help you solve that problem. If you are prevented from accessing the AdwareMedic site, turn off JavaScript in your web browser or restart the computer in safe mode to download the app, or download it on another computer, or try the manual removal instructions in my Adware Removal Guide.

Mar 7, 2015 5:30 AM in response to sandcasiles

These do not sound like symptoms that should be caused by MacKeeper. The fact that MacKeeper is installed is not good, and it must be removed, but you also may have something else wrong with your system. This could be caused by something else, or could be the result of damage MacKeeper has done to the system.

First, try restarting in safe mode:

OS X: What is Safe Boot, Safe Mode? - Apple Support

If you are able to get the computer working properly in safe mode, that means the problems are likely to be caused by third-party software installed on your computer. You will want to remove MacKeeper while in this mode, but I do not believe that MacKeeper will properly remove itself in safe mode. The DetectX app should remove MacKeeper for you:

http://sqwarq.com/detectx/

Once MacKeeper is fully removed, try restarting the computer normally. Does it work normally at that point, or are there still issues?

I need help, my mom downloaded mackeeper by accident and as a result has lost her dock and Finder. When I lost out all open applications, the screen is blue without a menu bar. The mackeeper icon has replaced time, battery, ect. in the right corner.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.