Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Buzz during music playback - iPhone 6

I am using an iPhone 6 - paired to a pioneer FH-X720BT car stereo. About 5 minutes after bluetooth music playback starts I get a very loud buzz for about 5 seconds. A moment after this all sound stops for a second. Then music resumes. This does not repeat until the stereo is turned off and then on again. Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix it. Is it a Pioneer stereo problem or is it an iPhone 6 problem? I have not had the same problem with an older iPhone 4s.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Mar 6, 2015 9:42 AM

11 replies

Mar 12, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Tim Murphy2

Same issue here with iPhone 6 iOS 8.1.3 and now with iOS 8.2. New Pioneer DEH6700BS. Took back to shop and had new deck replaced - SAME ISSUE. Mine is around 7:30 minute and same drop out right after that as you are seeing. I have tested with iPod Touch and my son's iPhone 5C and I don't get this issue despite multiple testing scenarios. Looks like the common denominator is the iPhone 6.

Sep 22, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Tim Murphy2

Same issue here. I have an iPhone 6 and was running iOS 8.3, got the buzz on my Pioneer DEH-4700BT when running BT Audio 4:55 minutes in after connecting (loud Buzz followed by silence a few seconds later). I spoke to Crutchfield Audio where I purchased the stereo and they said it was software related and to wait till the next operating system update to come out and test. I contacted Pioneer tech support and they said their iPhone 6 test on the test unit had no buzz and to bring up the issue with Apple. I just upgraded to IOS9 last night. I still have the buzz 4:55 into the first piece of audio. Rogers is my cell provider.

Nov 18, 2015 4:50 AM in response to Racer335

Hi All, thought I'd present my findings with the same basic issue everyone else describes, mine happens at 3:40 seconds of playback.

I was pretty disappointed to find that I am having the same issue as the folks in this post as well as some amazon reviews here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/RMNL5AS689CSU/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie= UTF8&ASIN=B00O8B7BMW

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1VLL774PEVFH9/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie =UTF8&ASIN=B00MRL30N4

I am an iOS engineer and have access to a number of test devices. I am not able to test every permutation that I wanted, but found the following pretty interesting.

• iPhone 6, 64GB White/Silver, iOS 9.1 The issue happens every ~3:40 seconds
  • iPhone 6, 64GB Black/Grey, iOS 9.0 Same, happens every ~3:40 seconds

These first two phones are basicallly the same phone but different color.

• iPhone 5, iOS 8.0: No Issue, plays back beautifully
  • iPhone 6, 128GB, Black/Grey (This phone is pretty new, purchased 5 months ago) No Issue, plays perfect

This one I didn't expect, so I have to believe there is something going on with a particular Bluetooth radio or driver for a particular radio. I couldn't find any information about the differences between the various iPhone 6 models though in terms of the Bluetooth radio manufacturers and differences between phones produced in the first run of phones ~sept 2014 and say summer 2015.

• iPhone 6S, 64GB, Black/Grey iOS 9.1, No Issue, plays perfect (this may be my solution, as I wouldn't mind getting the Push/Pop functions

I talked with pioneer about this and they replied with the following:

We have tested our unit here with the iPhone 6, running iOS 9.1.

Unfortunately we are not able to duplicate the symptom you described.

Try clearing the Bluetooth on the stereo and tell your iPhone to forget the

Pioneer unit.

Power cycle the vehicle off and back on.

Do a hard reset on your iPhone. Press and hold the power and the home

buttons at the same time. Continue holding both buttons until the Apple

logo appears, then let go.

Now pair them together again and test to see if the problem continues.

If it does, try pairing a different phone to the stereo. If the problem

does not happen with another phone, you would want to contact Apple for

further assistance. They may suggest doing a restore on your iPhone.

If the problem continues with a different phone, I would have to suspect

the radio is at fault. In this case, check with your dealer to see if they

can exchange it for you.

So, I could return the radio and get another one, but I suspect it will do the same thing. I'm going to probably get a new iPhone 6S first before I pull my dash apart again. I personally think the issue is something to do with the particular bluetooth hardware in certain iPhone 6's, which is why Pioneer continues to claim "Works on my machine". Because maybe it does...

Nov 18, 2015 10:11 AM in response to MrSoulMark

I think the more important change you made was moving to the 6S series phone. They come with a completely different wifi/bluetooth radio. The iPhone 5s and iPhone 6, use a

Murata 339S0228 WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac / Bluetooth / FM Radio

Where as the iPhone 6S uses the

Universal Scientific Industrial 339S00043 Wi-Fi Module

The iPhone 6 bluetooth streaming works perfect on my Bose mini, but for whatever reasons is having this issue on the pioneer, which is unfortunate since beyond that it's exactly the unit I want, and works and looks very good.

I'll report back once I get a iPhone 6S to let everyone know if that definitely fixes the issue (obviously a less than ideal solution, and I think pioneer should work on a firmware patch).

Oh and one question for MrSoulMark, did you try with the 6s Plus using iOS 9.1 yet?

Dec 1, 2015 7:54 AM in response to schveiguy2

UPDATE: So I think I may have figured out the issue.

• Goto settings > bluetooth
  • press the little info icon on the right side of the FH-X720 or FHX-820BS paired device tile
  • This will open up a settings view.
  • Turn Off the Sync Contact feature

I know this seems unrelated, but it fixed my issue. I even went and bought a iPhone 6S, ran it stock and found that the issue wasn't present. I was all pumped on that, then I restored my phone to my last backup and found the issue came back! All my Above theories kind of went out the window at that point. So I started thinking about what could be on the phone that might trigger it. My best guess at this point is that I have a ton of contacts from over the years from all different sources, facebook, email, et al. So there must be something about that causing the issue. Sure, if someone calls I probably won't see their name show up on the head unit, but I don't care about that since I have a hands free device and will likely look at the phone anyways.

I hope this helps you guys! I will send off this info to Pioneer, but it probably will fall on deaf ears...

Below is what my settings for my head unit look like. Contact SYNC OFF.

User uploaded file

May 27, 2016 4:53 AM in response to motoprog

Thanks for posting a solution motoprog. I have a FH-X721BT Pioneer receiver in my car and I use an iPhone 6s with iOS 9.3.2 I have had the same Buzz and then pause that others were talking about. Checked firmware version on the receiver and no update available. I thought I had to live with it, while annoying, it only did it once during each drive cycle. I can't wait to check out the fix of turning off the sync contacts feature. Hope it works! Thanks again for posting.

Bluetooth Buzz during music playback - iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.